We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

See Madurai, Trichy, Thanjavur or spend more time in Chennai

Ho Chi Minh City...
reviews: 1
See Madurai, Trichy, Thanjavur or spend more time in Chennai

All,

I'll be spending 5.5 days in Tamil Nadu. I want to see everything but I know I'll be back so I don't want to rush it. I enjoy temples, culture, architecture...things that are also unique from North India (where my family is from).

Based on other messages in the forum, below is my proposed itinerary and would appreciate your thoughts. I think its a bit rushed. Should I add Tiruvannamalai or somewhere else? Should I remove Madurai-Trichy-Thanjavur and spend more time in and around Chennai?

Feb 9 Noon: Arrive in Chennai, drive straight to Madurai

Feb 10: See Madurai, Trichy and Thanjavur

Feb 11: See Chidambaram, arrive in Pondi

Feb 12: See Pondi

Feb 13: See Mahab

Feb 14: See Chennai, fly out

Thanks in advance!

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, Thekkady
reviews: 102
1. Re: See Madurai, Trichy, Thanjavur or spend more time in Chennai

Hi...

Feb 9 Noon: Arrive in Chennai, drive straight to Madurai

Will reach by night

Feb 10: See Madurai, Trichy and Thanjavur

Possible on the map, not actually. Each town mentioned above requires more than a day.

Feb 11: See Chidambaram, arrive in Pondi

Possible.

Feb 12: See Pondi

Possible

Feb 13: See Mahab

Possible

Feb 14: See Chennai, fly out

Unrealistic. Depends on what you want to see.

Would suggest you to stick to Chennai, Kanchi, Pondy, Thirvannamalai, Chidambaram in this visit and plan for Trichy, Madurai, Tanjore, Kumbakonam etc., in the next plan.

Tiruchirappalli...
reviews: 24
2. Re: See Madurai, Trichy, Thanjavur or spend more time in Chennai

can be acheived

like 9th drive straight to trichy- (possible to reach by evening 5 hours max travel by car) visit uchichipilaiyar koil < possible bazaar at night>

hope you wont be tired.

10th

morning sri rangam, and by noon travel to thanjavur- visit palace and in evening big temple

11th

chidambaram and travel to pondi halt

12th

pondi visits and travel to mahab and halt

13th

half day and mahab and travel to chennai

14th chennai and fly

but this will be tight.

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, Thekkady
reviews: 102
3. Re: See Madurai, Trichy, Thanjavur or spend more time in Chennai

>>>can be acheived<<<<

In which case, why has Madurai been left out? When you say, something can be achieved, then my understanding is that the total plan can be achieved.

Again Trichy is not Rockfort and Srirangam alone, there are a lot more to do and see. Nothing can be seen in Pondy in half a day and same with Mahabs.

All the above places are of high cultural importance and it would not be my personal choice to do a "for the sake of it" kind of a visit.

Tiruchirappalli...
reviews: 24
4. Re: See Madurai, Trichy, Thanjavur or spend more time in Chennai

Hi Prasanna

i just tried to pick up major spots, as you have mentioned not just by covering major spots cannot be mentioned as covering the place. but as a traveller, those spots are which will be interested.

in pondicherry as per my mention its one complete day.

half a day is enough to visit the shore temple and five rathas in mahabalipuram.

i tried to make it as the OP wished. he have less time. i have also mentioned that it will be tight. and OP havent mentioned about his future plans to visit.

and you have also mentioned your thoughts.

hope this clarifies.

Edited: 2:18 am, February 01, 2013
Chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Tamil Nadu
reviews: 26
5. Re: See Madurai, Trichy, Thanjavur or spend more time in Chennai

Hi

Tend to agree with Prasanna. With 5.5 days, you will need to factor travel time apart from destination clusters.

The clusters here are Chennai - Mahabs - Pondy - Chidambaram is one logical route and is best done on the Road. Thiruvannamalai is about 90 Kms away from Pondy and a futher 190 Kms from Chennai. See the enclosed map for more clearer details:

http://goo.gl/maps/7DgLO

Trichy - Thanjavur - Madurai are probaly another cluster and a combination of road / rail works best here. Thanjavur is about 100 Kms from Chidambaram and Thanjavur is just an hour away from Trichy. Madurai is another 140 Kms away.

Madurai is also well connected to Chennai by Rail or Air.

So, you can pick any of these clusters (preferably the first as suggested by Prasanna. where in fact, i would tend to even drop Chidambaram and do the rest at a leisurely pace with possibly a break at one of the nice beach resorts on the Chennai Mahabs stretch)

Hope this helps

regards

Rajan

6. Re: See Madurai, Trichy, Thanjavur or spend more time in Chennai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 04, 2014