We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Attire for Taj Lake Palace Restaurants

Which Udaipur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta
reviews: 111
Attire for Taj Lake Palace Restaurants

We will be staying at the Taj Lake Palace next month and need advice concerning appropriate attire for the restaurants. The hotel's website says "formal" attire for Bhairo and "elegant" attire for Neel Kamal. Surely "formal" doesn't mean black tie. Advice?

Udaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Udaipur
reviews: 73
1. Re: Attire for Taj Lake Palace Restaurants

Hi rag714,

Dress code are just to keep hotel standard. Its doesn't mean suite and tie.

elegant" attire for Neel Kamal. Means just looks good . "formal" doesn't mean tie and coat .

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
reviews: 9
2. Re: Attire for Taj Lake Palace Restaurants

They want to keep people in floaters and shorts away, it would ruin the ambience for others for whom these could well be special dining experiences. A nice full-sleeve shirt paired with trousers, belt, black shoes would be fine. Doesn't have to be a suit. My personal advice - if you are staying in multiple hotels like this one - is to bring a jacket that you can team with it and wear whenever necessary. We are experiencing a very cold winter, some of the days have been the coldest in the last 4-5 hours.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
reviews: 9
3. Re: Attire for Taj Lake Palace Restaurants

In reality you will find a lot of people dressed in casual evening wear. By that I mean brown loafers, khaki trousers, casual shirts, etc. The restaurant staff won't turn you away except if it is shorts, which they don't allow.

See this link for what I suggest for men, if you like to be nicely dressed for dinner at Lake Palace, but not super formal:

boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php…

Scroll down and see the photo posted by OceansandRivers on Oct 10.

For women, pretty much anything is ok, really, but it helps if you dress up rather than down. Given the weather a nice shawl and some blingy ear-rings will hide all clothing sins :) :) I usually take a pair of strappy heels (although these days I have stopped wearing heels, and it tends to be more like a strappy but very nice flat shoe).

Atlanta
reviews: 111
4. Re: Attire for Taj Lake Palace Restaurants

Thanks for the good advice Udaipurmagic and Deepa_Krishnan. It seems that restaurant attire for nice restaurants in India is about the same as in Atlanta and we will pack accordingly. Also thanks for the information concerning the unusually cool weather you're having. I'll keep a watch on the weather forecast.

5. Re: Attire for Taj Lake Palace Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 19, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Udaipur