We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get to Angel Fire?

Which Angel Fire hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pilot Point, Texas
reviews: 1
Best way to get to Angel Fire?

From Amarillo, is it best to go west on I40 and then north to Angel Fire or go north on 287/87 to Clayton and then west to Angel FIre?

(the Clayton route looks like it has more straight roads, but my GPS is trying to send me out I40 and that route looks more winding and twisted)

Thanks for your help!!

2 replies to this topic
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
reviews: 38
1. Re: Best way to get to Angel Fire?

All routes from Amarillo to Angel Fire are about the same amount of time. I think it is best to check road conditions before you leave.

Another route is I40 to NM39 to Springer then west on US64 to Angel Fire

Albuquerque, New...
reviews: 36
2. Re: Best way to get to Angel Fire?

Definitely check the weather/road reports. Amarillo to Angel Fire crosses some of our NE corner of New Mexico, that is very prone to heavy snowfalls, blizzard conditions, and COLD fronts below zero!

Personally, when I'm doing winter driving, I like to stick to highways that at least have a few decent sized towns...just in case. I would travel Amarillo, up to Dalhart, and Clayton, NM...and west on US56 to Springer. Then a nudge up I-25 to NM-56 over to Cimarron...US64 past Eagle Nest to Angel Fire. Weather the next 48 hours will be the critical factor.

Keep safe! Conditions at Angel Fire are excellent now for skiing/snowboarding. www.skinewmexico.com

Reply to: Best way to get to Angel Fire?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted