We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of the Jaisalmer Scam artists.

Which Jaisalmer hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jaipur
Beware of the Jaisalmer Scam artists.

If you are going to Jaisalmer and planning on a Camel Safari, the touts and scam artists will be waiting for you at the bus and train station. If you arrive a little groggy by night train/bus, they will pose as taxi drivers offering you a very cheap ride to the hotel of your choise. As soon as you are in the vehicle they will strike up a conversation how you got to know about the hotel of your choise, then suggesting their own hotel at incredible low rates, 150 INR or even less, including free thee and coffee, free WIFI etc.

And for the price the guesthouse doesn't look to bad either. Thety will probably claim they are so cheap because they are new and not yet in the guidebooks, therefore they have to offer low prices to compete.

This happened to me with the guys from Jaisal View guesthouse. I had already made a reservation by phone at the very reputable Swastika hotel and insisted I should go there since I had already booked. There was a German girl with me and since she accepted their offer, they reluctantly let half their prey escape.

The next day, in short succession 2 couples showed up at Swastika. They had been picked up by the same hostel and offered very cheap accomodation only to be ambushed over tea with a proposed Camel Safari. The first couple didn't bite and was asked to leave the hotel. The was second couple was first offered a 2 day Camel trip for 7000 INR for the both of them. When they said they couldn't afford that kind of price it miracously dropped to 3500 but they were asked not to tell the other people who had already coughed up the full amount. They were so shocked by this kind of hustler attitude that they immieiately checked out and also ended up in Hotel Swastika.

i booked a 1 day/1night Camel Safari trough Swastika and paid 900 INR. A German tourist also there took the 2day/1 night option and paid 1200 INR.

My deal included 3 meals and a night under the stars in the desert.

We had a chat with the Camel guys and they get 150 INR per camel. The operator provides the food and water but they have to prepare everything and babysit the tourists trough the night.

A honest guesthouse/hotel operator will never push the Safari. The man from Swastika waited until we asked for a Safari to even mention that he could arrange it.

According to the guidebooks and also to the Camel drivers we spoke to, the most reputable operator is Mr Desert of Sahara travel and also the Swastika guesthouse are the most reliable non cheating operators.

Of course if you decide to stay in luxury Swiss tents in a camp with Gipsy music etc, the price range will be different but paying a high price to a crook will by no means guarantee you a better quality Safari. As for me no tent can ever beat a night under the desert sky.

If I had to to it again I would do the Safari not from Jaisalmer but from bikaner to the rough Guide recommended Vinayak guesthouse. Mr Jitu is a trained Zoologist and in Bikaner you will have the Desert to your self, not having to share you sunset Dune with hordes of other people like you and me(tourists)

Good luck and beware, as they say in the guide books, any bussiness using a tout is best avoided.

jaisalmer
Destination Expert
for Jaisalmer
reviews: 26
1. Re: Beware of the Jaisalmer Scam artists.

thanks for your post for Jaisalmer touts best to be avoid . Many tourist get cheated in this scam ,even most of them don't even knows that they save money for the room but they pay lot more other side for camel or other activty .

MUMBAI
reviews: 40
2. Re: Beware of the Jaisalmer Scam artists.

We really appriciate , there is sme serious thought regarding Jaisalmer Hotel touts Scam and Camel Safari Cheaters. But as per my thought that scam is also approch by tourist.

How...???? As Mr. Willy B was booked Swastika Hotel before but he cheat and he go with the Touts...Who's Mistesk..??? Touts...??? or Willy...???

There is Hotel Swastika,s owner was waiting that Mr. Willy will come and he was Holding room for them so if Mr. Willy directly go with the swastika Hotel which is deside really nicely by him, so that will not done.....

In our Manor we don't want to supports Touts and Scam but we just want to tell every tourist that if you book any hotel be contiune with them...

Don't get Misguide*

becoz hotelir will be always hopefull with your coming information......

Take Care..

Regards,

Uju

jaisalmer
Destination Expert
for Jaisalmer
reviews: 26
3. Re: Beware of the Jaisalmer Scam artists.

This is true , that also tourist are giving the support to touts , why tourist listion to touts and folow them ? And where they book originaly that hotel owner waiting and waiting and fanaly he lost the chance to sell out this room .

I heard this lots from many hotel owner that today booking guest not came ....

But this will never stop as some tourist scamed by touts .

So my request .. Please don't listion to the touts and go with ur reserved hotel , if u go with touts atlist one call asap to ur booked hotel that u r not going there any more .

AND thanks UJU .. You write good point here .

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
4. Re: Beware of the Jaisalmer Scam artists.

Thanks for posting your experience.

5. Re: Beware of the Jaisalmer Scam artists.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, November 26, 2012