We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help for a once of trip to India

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 19
Itinerary help for a once of trip to India

We would like to do a trip to India either November 2013 or February 2014. Interested in Rajasthan and then south to Kerala. Thinking about three weeks in total. I have an itinerary suggestion

Delhi 2 nights

Mandawa overnight

Bikaner overnight

Jaisalmer 2 nights

Jodhpur 1 night

Udaipur 2 nights

Jaipur 2 nights

Agra day and then flight to Varanasi

Varanasi 1 night

then down south for 5 days before flying back to Australia

I am thinking it may be too much in that short time, I realize it is probably able to be done but we like to enjoy having a holiday and not just driving most days, I see people come to Australia and visit the country in two weeks and they spend most of the time in a car, you may see it but don't feel it! IWe are thinking we may need to spend a few more days at places, eg Udaipur and maybe miss one or two places , could this be Jaisalmer. I think Mandawa and Bikaner were put in to make the driving easier. Any suggestions on this. I think I am thinking along the lines of less maybe more, this will probably be our only trip to India but want to get a feel of the place . Sorry for the long question, any help much appreciated.

Cologne, Germany
reviews: 25
1. Re: Itinerary help for a once of trip to India

I would cancel Kerala for the next trip and stay in the north. You'll need a lot of daytime for driving and I would stay longer in some places, 2 nights Jodhpur, 1 night Agra, maybe add Pushkar, definitely more than 1 night in Varanasi. I suugest to spend your time in Rajasthan, take the overnight train from Agra to Varanasi and then fly back to Delhi.

Just my view, you'll have to decide.

New Delhi, India
reviews: 1
2. Re: Itinerary help for a once of trip to India

9 cities in 13 days it would be too much, I would suggest you to skip Kerala and stay longer in North.

Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 7
3. Re: Itinerary help for a once of trip to India

Hi. Since you say it will be your only trip to India (ever?) I can understand you wanting to visit both the north and the south. But then you might want to limit yourself to two of the places in Rajasthan and take more flights.

And think carefully about what you want to see and do in the places you've chosen. If you really want to experience and stay in the desert then you should go to Jaisalmer even though it's rather remote.

Ficksburg, South...
reviews: 88
4. Re: Itinerary help for a once of trip to India

We spent 12 days travelling through Rajasthan. It was fabulous, but exhausting. We were on the move constantly, and the drive between cities takes much longer than you would expect. We just scratched the surface. There is so much to see and do. Work on covering around 45 km in an hour when driving between destinations.

Delhi
Destination Expert
for New Delhi
reviews: 2
5. Re: Itinerary help for a once of trip to India

Hi,

Your itinerary is fine and very much doable in your time frame just need a few changes to make it more easier...

I would suggest you to go Varanasi first , later do Agra & Rajasthan then go to Kerala.

Suggested Plan :

Day 01 Arrive Delhi

Day 02 Visit Delhi

Day 03 Delhi - Varanasi ( Morning Flight )

Day 04 Varanasi - Agra ( Late Evening Overnight train )

It will allow you 02 full days in Varanasi

Day 05 Arrive Agra in morning

Day 06 Agra - Fatehpur Sikri - Bharatpur Bird Sactuary-Jaipur ( By Car )

Day 07 Jaipur

Day 08 Jaipur- Bikaner ( By Car )

Day 09 Bikaner-Jaisalmer ( By Car )

Day 10 Jaisalmer

Day 11 Jaisalmer-Jodhpur ( By Car )

Day 12 Jodhpur

Day 13 Jodhpur- Kumbhalgarh- Ranakpur- Udaipur ( By car )

Day 14 Udaipur

Day 15 Udaipur - Mumbai -Cochin ( By Connecting Flight )

Day 16 Cochin

Day 17 Cochin- Alleppy ( House Boat)

Day 18 Alleppy - Kovalam

Day 19 Kovalam

Day 20 Kovalam-Trivadrum - Delhi ( Airport )

* If you wish to ease your trip , you should skip South India and add Khajuraho ( famous for kamasutra Temples) after Varanasi....

Hari Mangal

Adelaide, Australia
6. Re: Itinerary help for a once of trip to India

Thanks Hari Mangal for that great information, would Varanasi be too much of a shock in our first few days in India, I have read that some people think it is overwhelming. I guess if we are prepared for it we shouldn't have any problems. Is the overnight train okay eg, clean. Also had thought maybe we should remove the south of India to concentrate on the north unless I add a few more days to it and just stop in one place down south to have a bit of R and R before we fly home. I think we maybe able to fly out to Australia from down south instead of going back to Delhi

Delhi
Destination Expert
for New Delhi
7. Re: Itinerary help for a once of trip to India

My pleasure, sir!!

As per requirement of itinerary, you should go Varanasi first, it won't be any shocking, Varanasi is a worth seeing place and highly recommend city to visit in recent survey of Trip Advisor.

As far as train facilities concern it is OK but you should chose 1st A/C class or II A/C class.

You may leave your country from Bangalore or Mumbai, these cities are well connected from Trivandrum / Kochi. Check international flight schedule at your end.

I would suggest you to skip Jaisalmer & Bikaner from itinerary, add a few more days in Kovalam ( Relax in a beach resort or have famous Ayurvedic treatment / Massage ).

Without South India, you may plan as below:

Delhi -02 Days > Mandawa-01 Day > Bikaner-01 Day > Jaisalmer-03 Days > Jodhpur-01 Day > Udaipur-02 Days> Jaipur-02 Days > Agra-01 Day > Khajuraho -02 Days > Varanasi -02 Days – Delhi – 01 Day

India is not a destination to complete its visits in one journey. It would be better to see Rajasthan & North India in one visit and spare South India for your next visit.

Hari Mangal

Adelaide, Australia
8. Re: Itinerary help for a once of trip to India

Thankyou again Hari Mangal, I think I may leave the south of India till another time and just take our time in the north. If I wanted to have a place to just take a break and enjoy the accomodation half way through the trip in Rajasthan do you have any recommendations.

Delhi
Destination Expert
for New Delhi
9. Re: Itinerary help for a once of trip to India

Hi,

It is a good Idea to do North India & Rajasthan this time and leave South India for another time.

Yes, I have a few companies in my mind who operates this tour very well in different budget.

I will let you know these companies name through PM.

Regards,

Hari Mangal

New Delhi, India
10. Re: Itinerary help for a once of trip to India

Hi,

I think you have enough time to visit both Northern & Southern part of India. Karela has the most beautiful beaches & spending a week at a beach before you fly out should be enough for the relaxation after all this long trip throughout Rajasthan.Suggesting you to skip couple of cities in Rajasthan viz:- Bikaner & Mandawa as you may get bored by seeing temples & fortes every day.

Suggested Itinerary:-

Delhi>>Varanasi>>Agra>>Jaipur>>Pushkar>>Jaisalmer>>Jodhpur>>Udaipur leave the driver here & catch an o/n train to Ahmadabad in-order to take a plane next day afternoon from Ahmadabad to Trivandrum & fly home.

Regards,

Raja Burza