We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gateway hotel varkala

Which Varkala hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
bigbum0204
reviews: 20
gateway hotel varkala

hi we are going to gateway hotel in april /may .

ist what will the weather be like

2nd has anyone stayed in a Standard Garden View Room if so what are they like inside and out .

3rd did you enjoy varkala as it is our first time there

any tips would be most welcome

thank you

Abu Dhabi, United...
1. Re: gateway hotel varkala

Hi bigbum,

I have no idea about the hotel. But Varkala is a great place to be. You can do lots of wandering around and enjoy great sunsets at the cliff strip. Weather is moderately hot around april/may. You can expect some mild showers too.

UK
Destination Expert
for Varkala
reviews: 48
2. Re: gateway hotel varkala

Hi

First of all regarding the weather it will be very hot and humid and you will very likely experience thunderstorms. But with the world weather ever changing who knows!

Not stayed in the garden view room so cannot comment. I have stayed in the rooms that have a private garden and they were good. Overall the hotel was good when I stayed there.

I personally like Varkala. It is quite a laid back place. Mainly independent travellers from all corners of the globe. Depends what you are looking for from Varkala. The easiest thing is if you post what questions you have and I will try to answer them.

bigbum0204
reviews: 20
3. Re: gateway hotel varkala

thank you for your feed back

in general what are the prices like ..beer .. vodka,, food

are the trains ok and safe to use.

is there any where you recommend to see

are the rice boats available and rough price please

sorry to be a pain but getting ecited about our trip

again thank you

also are there any decent bars

Northumberland...
reviews: 40
4. Re: gateway hotel varkala

Hi!

We stayed at Taj Varkala in December. Can't comment on garden view rooms as we stayed in a suite - which I would highly recommend.

We had food by the pool a couple of times and actually it was really good.

There are loads of restaurants (all touting for business) all along the cliff. It will cost you around 40 - 40 rupees for a tuk-tuk to here.

During our trip we stayed in Kumarakom, backwaters on a rice barge, Varkala and Kovalam - to be honest Varkala was my least favourite place - but I still liked it - I guess it all depends on what you want out of a holiday really though.

Hope you have a really lovely time.

5. Re: gateway hotel varkala

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:11 am, October 19, 2011
UK
Destination Expert
for Varkala
reviews: 48
6. Re: gateway hotel varkala

Hi,

I will indicate approximate prices as I did not go to Varkala last year.

Beer in the restaurants will be approx. 100 - 120 for large bottle of kingfisher. Don't know about spirits as I have only ever purchased say vodka or whiskey at the liquor shop in Varkala Town. You will pay approx. 280rps for a bottle of domestic vodka. White Mischief is a reasonable brand. Imported stuff will be a lot more. You will also be able to purchase beer there for a fraction of the price charged in the restaurants.

The liquor shop is down the side of the Bata shoe store in Varkala Town.

Food in general is reasonably priced. Curry and rice for example will be approx 150 - 180 rps. Fish dishes will cost more.

Somewhere in the region of 250 - 300 rps but come with rice/salad/breads. Breakfasts will be anything from 100 - 200 rps. depending on what you like to eat.

Tonic water will be 40 rps per bottle/can and is available from various outlets.

Have not used the trains from Varkala so cannot comment on that. Also I have not taken trips from Varkala but there are plenty of places that advertise and arrange trips, including riceboats.

Sorry that I can't be of more help on the last two.

ps. forgot about the bar question. There is a nice bar attached to the side of and part of the Hindustan Hotel down by the beach.

The beer is marginally cheaper there and they also sell Kingfisher Strong.

Edited: 12:30 pm, January 18, 2011
7. Re: gateway hotel varkala

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, January 20, 2012