We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

City Forexes - which one??

Which Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum) hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
reviews: 17
City Forexes - which one??

Obviously the Forex services in the city more prefered over the airport ones. Any particular one between TRV airport and Kovalam that has better rates for cashing TCs? I'd prefer banks or Thomas Cooks over other small ones.

Kovalam, India
1. Re: City Forexes - which one??

Hi

There is a FX at Trivandrum Airport. I only use it to change small amounts as they charge commission. There are plenty of places along Lighthouse BEach to change TC and cash. Do remember that to change TC's you will need to provide a copy of your passport and VISA. If you stick to one money changer then only one copy of each is needed. They do not charge commision, but do bare in mind that the rate can change throughout the day - different in the afternoon than what you got in the morning.

There are 4 ATM's in the area. 1 at the Swagarth Hotel (just up the hill) which is the nearest, and the other 3 can be found at Kovalam Junction. Some ATM's have a limit to how much you can withdraw at a time. Some are R4,000, R5,000, R10,000, or the max of R20,000 (R20,000 being the max per 24hrs). There is also a Bank at the Junction but you will need your passport as ID proof and expect to wait.

The rate at present is fluctuating between R73 to R75 to £1 but in your case I believe the $ rate is quite strong.

Regards

Paul

Happy Children's Home - Helper

Kovalam, India
2. Re: City Forexes - which one??

Hi again

Try this link:-

http://www.rbi.org.in

and hover your mouse over the word 'Exchange Rates' on the right. The link was originally posted by IMK24 on:-

tripadvisor.in/…18141802

Regards

Paul

Kerala
reviews: 1
3. Re: City Forexes - which one??

Please try the Thomas cook in Kovalam or in the city (near ayurveda college)

you can also try TT forex in 'VELLAYAMBALAM'

Los Angeles...
reviews: 17
4. Re: City Forexes - which one??

Thank you friends for inputs, I am not planning to cash TCs at the airport because I have had experience at Mumbai, it has become a ripoff business at the airport, the sales people literally stand outside and direct you to use their companies. They call it 'Service fee' which can be upto 2%, unbelievable! We have a hotel transfer pick us up to UDS, I will look for FX preferably Thomas C along the way and make a quick stop. Hotel has FX facility but not sure if they would be any better than airport. Always good idea to cash small amounts until you feel comfortable doing bueiness with one, I dont mind carrying extra Xerox copies of my passport/visa.

kovalam
5. Re: City Forexes - which one??

most consistant fx i have found is pheroze by the bus stand at the entrance to the leela hotel. you get ten paise less for a tc than cash, they will copy your passport there. thomas cook offices here, i find extremely un -competative.

6. Re: City Forexes - which one??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:35 am, April 16, 2010