We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquito net on Houseboats

Nottingham, UK
reviews: 2
Mosquito net on Houseboats

I read a review from someone who said not to bother staying on board a houseboat overnight because you get attacked by mosquitos. We wondered if others had had a similar experience, and whether it is worth taking a mozzie net? If so, any recommendations where to get one from at a good price?

Bangalore, India
1. Re: Mosquito net on Houseboats

Mosquitoes can be annoying, but it's not a good reason to miss the overnight on the houseboat. If you are renting one that has A/C, then you won't need to bother with a mosquito net. Just bring some good bug repellent with you and put it on around dusk/sunset when the mozzies are at their worst. If you are still concerned and want the net, most boat operators should be able to provide one for you without your having to go out and buy one yourself. All you have to do is ask.

The backwaters are tremendously beautiful and peaceful and you shouldn't let a few mosquitoes stop you from experiencing it.

Nottingham, UK
2. Re: Mosquito net on Houseboats

Thank you turleyhead, I have been looking forward to the boat trip, and you have now put my mind at rest. I had no idea there could be aircon on the boats (we have booked through a reputable tour operator, but I am not sure of the facilities on board). Thanks again.

Bangalore, India
3. Re: Mosquito net on Houseboats

Oh, and a couple more things you can do:

For the deck of the boat, you can ask (before leaving the dock) for the crew to bring along some mosquito coils...these will help keep them away while you are enjoying the view from the bow of the boat. And most good operators will also have the electrical plug-in type of bug repellents for your room. One brand name is Good Knight and they come either with mats that you insert on the plug-in, or little bottles of liquid that you screw into the plug-in. Either type works well and last for at least 12 hours.

Bangalore, India
4. Re: Mosquito net on Houseboats

Not all boats have A/C. You should check with your tour operator. At this time of year, you probably won't really need the A/C, but it's nice to have the option, especially if the mozzies are a real problem. But they aren't as bad at this time of year as at other times. I always just douse myself in bug spray because I'm one of those people who is a mozzie-magnet, so as long as I have good repellent, I'm set and can enjoy myself.

Where are you doing the houseboat from? Cochi, Alleppey, someplace else?

Nottingham, UK
5. Re: Mosquito net on Houseboats

I'm a mozzie magnet too - so all your advice is much appreciated! I will probably pack a supply of plug-ins/spray with me as our first two nights will be in Kumarakom, and I'm not sure if there will be an opportunity to purchase on the way (or on arrival).

Our next stop will be Periyar and Munnar, back down to Cochin, then we shall take a houseboat from Alleppey to Kollam, ending our trip with a week in Kovalam.

I see you're from Bangalore - we hope to visit there next time.