We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire from Dalhousie to Manali

Which Manali hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kolkata (Calcutta...
reviews: 53
Car hire from Dalhousie to Manali

Can anybody suggest what will be the hire charges for a car(Innova) for journey from Dalhousie to Manali(dropping only)

39 replies to this topic
India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India
reviews: 34
1. Re: Car hire from Dalhousie to Manali

Dalhousie to Manali will be approx Rs.5500 by Innova.

Edited: 12:11 pm, May 03, 2012
Kolkata (Calcutta...
2. Re: Car hire from Dalhousie to Manali

Thanks for the information. Can you please tell approx rental cost(innova) from katra to Dalhousie(Drop only). Also how much is the distance from Dalhousie to manali. Can it be covered in a single day by car and how much time it will take.

I am going to katra and from there to Manali. Still undecided whether I should go to Dalhousie or to Macleodgunj/Dharamshala enroute to Manali. I intend stay 2 nights in either of the place.

please suggest keeping in mind both journey time and choice of destination(from tourist point of view).

Further should I book the Innova( I will need 2 since we are a group of 12 to 14 people) after reaching Katra or tell my hotel to arrange for me in advance. Which will be cheaper? Also is it advisable to book from katra to manali direct and keep the vehicle with us during our stay in Dalhousie/Dhramshala or book point to point ie, Katra to Dalhousie/Dharamshala and then from there to Manali.

I intend to return from Manali to Delhi by Volvo bus.

Is it possible to book a 15 seater small bus from Jammu for our entire trip till Delhi. It will be of 8 night duration. Jammu(day 1) - katra(Day 1 and 2) - Dalhousie/Dharamshala(Day 3 and 4) - manali(Day 5, 6 and 7) - Delhi(Day 8nght or day 9 morning). What will be the cost.

Your expert advice will really help me.

Thanks.

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India
3. Re: Car hire from Dalhousie to Manali

If you can accommodate the group in a 12 seater Tempo Traveller, hire it from Jammu. That would take you to Dalhousie / Dharamsala and finally to Manali. It would cost Rs.4500 per day x 5 days. OR you can hire 15 seater Tata Minibus (no push back seat) @Rs.5000 approx x 5 days. Both vehicle are non AC. For AC Tempo Traveller, it would be Rs.6000 per day.

The vehicle will be at your disposal. You can do all the sightseeing (incl Rohtang) with that. Though, you need to get a permission for Rohtang for the vehicle, that won't be a big issue.

If you ask me to choose between Dalhousie and Dharamsala, I would vote for Dalhousie (Khajjiar/Chamba).

AshisRoy

Edited: 3:23 am, May 04, 2012
Kolkata (Calcutta...
4. Re: Car hire from Dalhousie to Manali

Will it be advisable to halt at Dharamshala for a night enroute Manali from Dalhousie? If so, can you recommend a clean budget hotel just for spending the night.

Thanks.

India
Destination Expert
5. Re: Car hire from Dalhousie to Manali

I would suggest for 2 nts stay in Dalhousie, see Kalatop and Khajjiar. Then Proceed to Manali (8 hrs approx). That would be worthwhile and comfortable.

Edited: 2:10 am, May 05, 2012
Kolkata (Calcutta...
6. Re: Car hire from Dalhousie to Manali

Thanks. Everywhere I read, people says that the road from Dalhousie to manali( direct) is backyard roads and very narrow, lots of difficult hairpins and road condition is very bad. The longer route via Dharamsala, jogindernagar, mandi is much better considering motorability and comfort though its very long distance to cover. That's the reason I asked about halting at Dharamsala.

Your views please.

India
Destination Expert
7. Re: Car hire from Dalhousie to Manali

As far as I know, Palampur onwards the road to Manali is same whether you go from Dalhousie or Dharamsala. Dalhousie was suggested in view of better sights.

No problem. You may stay in Mcleodganj, may try Hotel Bhagsu (HPTDC).

Edited: 9:01 am, May 05, 2012
Kolkata (Calcutta...
reviews: 1
8. Re: Car hire from Dalhousie to Manali

Hi Ashis..Looks like u have a good understanding of the place (dalhousie to Manali )...Can you pls suggest if it is okay to bypass Dharamshala on the way to Manali in case we dont plan a break journey in between ? Also how much time will it take ( MAX) for us to reach Manali from dalhousie through Palampur ? Any idea as to how much it can cost per day for a cab if i wish to hire a cab from dalhousie to manali ( via dharamshala or not depends on your recommendation ) & then keep the cab for site seeing at manali & finally dropping us at Chandigarh ...

India
Destination Expert
9. Re: Car hire from Dalhousie to Manali

SatyakiBh

Yes, you can take the route to Manali bypassing Dharamsala. Dalhousie > Kotla > Kangra > Mandi > Manali. The journe takes 9-10 hrs. Car rental charges = Indica/Alto Rs.1800/day/200 kms, Innova Rs.2700/day/200 kms.

Edited: 7:12 am, May 31, 2012
Kolkata (Calcutta...
reviews: 1
10. Re: Car hire from Dalhousie to Manali

thanks a lot for your prompt response on this...really appreciate it...Any suggestions for river facing resorts @ Manali ?

Reply to: Car hire from Dalhousie to Manali
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted