We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

swimming on Candolim beach

Which Candolim hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bath, United Kingdom
reviews: 46
swimming on Candolim beach

Hi,Goan first timer here,what's the swimming like on Candolim beach ? I'm a competent swimmer but no Michael Phelps and just wondered if it was safe as far as currents etc are concerned or should I just stick to the pool ? There never seem to be many people in the water on the youtube vids I've looked at

Thanks in advance :)

United Kingdom
reviews: 26
1. Re: swimming on Candolim beach

The current is very strong. People do swim and I have done myself. Just be aware of it, so many, especially Indian tourists don't respect the Sea. I wouldn't recommend any non swimmers go much further than knee deep.

Jersey UK
reviews: 17
2. Re: swimming on Candolim beach

People. Swim in the sea or play,

Sea is rough, I would only have a paddle, and stick to the pool.

You will make your when decision when there??

Mims

Stockport, United...
reviews: 60
3. Re: swimming on Candolim beach

I am a good swimmer and do swim in the sea but there are times when it's just to dangerous respect the sea many indian tourists under estimate it and get into difficulty.

Sheffield, United...
reviews: 34
4. Re: swimming on Candolim beach

Agree with the others..Once past the waves it is pretty calm, but there are very strong under currents which make it very tiring when trying to swim back to shore....

Most of the Indians that get into trouble go in the sea after drinking alcohol, also seen Brits and Russians in the sea whilst drunk.....

Coventry, United...
5. Re: swimming on Candolim beach

I do play in the sea trying to jump the waves. The waves can be really high and strong I have been knocked off my feet many times and have the scars and bruises to show for it. The currents are also very strong and I have started off in the sea at the front of the shack and finished up 2 shacks down, just be really careful and play safe.

Coventry, UK
reviews: 44
6. Re: swimming on Candolim beach

I know people who have gone swimming in their sunglasses, and have lost them when a large wave knocks them of their feet. Not too much of a problem with cheap fakes, but a major pain if you have prescription lenses.

So don't take anything in you would mind losing. No cameras, i-phones or pads, kindles etc. Maybe not even flip flops!

Edited: 10:08 am, February 05, 2013
Coventry, United...
7. Re: swimming on Candolim beach

TriumpNed, I don't think I have ever met you even though we share the same home town. I am one of those people who have lost designer sunglasses in the sea and they have never been seen since. I can promise you only rubbish and bodyboards float in this sea.

New York City, New...
reviews: 3
8. Re: swimming on Candolim beach

Luv swimming in candolim..when swimming..i dont do it drunk thats a Absolute NO. The indians.. the indians that do get into trouble ..at least the ones i have seen have been drunk non Goans ..thats what the life guards tell us.

If you do decide to swimm..keep ypur body as much as possible fairly above on the water while swimming..the currents or undertow is mostly fairly under in the water so keep afloat as much as possible..if U do unfortunately get into a situation then key is to keep calm , no panick..if I find sea is rough, i skip ..the dip!

Derby, United...
reviews: 23
9. Re: swimming on Candolim beach

The sea is very dangerous, people drown every season. Mainly drunken Indian tourists. There are lifeguards there, but I never go out of my depth, the currents are too strong.

sheffield
reviews: 2
10. Re: swimming on Candolim beach

there is always one,this time it's me

Very difficult to swim on any beach, always use water

Have a great time , 6 days left

Get answers to your questions about Candolim