We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Review on Wildernest

Cardiff, United...
reviews: 4
Review on Wildernest

It was a few weeks ago now that my husband and I visited Goa for the first time. During our stay we visited 'The Wildernest', and as promised here is what we thought...

We were so excited about visiting the Wildernest. The journey was an interesting 1 1/2 hours. A very bumpy journey but with great sights and beautiful views towards the end of the trip as we ascended up the mountains.

On arrival we were impressed with the service and were pleased with our room/cottage. It was basic but seemed clean and the views from the balcony were awesome.

We then went to explore the restaurant/bar/pool area. The pool was small but beautiful. (There were a few families with children there when we arrived but they all left after about 1/2 hour which suited us to the ground). It was so peaceful and relaxing. The pool was an infinity pool overlooking the same fabulous view of the valley that our balcony did. It also had a small waterfall in the corner, and a shallow area for children or reading a book. The only downside of the pool was that there weren't many sunbeds, and most of them were under the trees, so shade. It wasn't a problem when we were there really as the place was so quiet, but if all 15 cottages were full you would have a real job getting a bed.

We had lunch in the restaurant. The room itself was pleasant enough. The food was all traditional Goan food, which was a little spicer than we liked, but... okay for the first meal.

We went on a wonderful trek up to the highest point then and saw many monkeys jumping back and forth between the trees. It was beautiful.

Unfortunately, thats when things started to change for the worse. On returning to our room I found a spider (not just any spider) the size of my outspread hand. It was so ugly with stripy legs. Then I found some 'poo's' - they were the size of my thumb. Having just caught a mouse in our house at home and seeing the size of the mouse and seeing its rice grain sized poo's, we were a little scared of what the hell was leaving poo's this size behind!!??

The evening meal was then... exactly the same as lunch! When we had finished and were just chatting to another couple staying there (there were only 3 couples, including ourselves staying there at the time). We heard some rustling, chattering sounds and saw some squirrel tails hanging down from the ceiling, which we just thought was quite cute and funny, (no-one really thinks of squirrels as rodents do they!) We then saw a few toads jumping across the floor... well still quite cute! But when we started seeing the rats tails and heard them scurrying around I started to get a bit more concerned about the hygenie of the place.

On re entering our room we found more 'poo's' which were now plentiful and on our bed. I spent pretty much the whole night awake, under the sheet listening to the sounds, terrified of what animals were in the room and close to me. I know it may sound petty, but some of the noises were very loud, and there was definately squirrels/rats? in the room running about the ledge of the roof (INSIDE). I'm afraid we didn't stay for the second night as planned, and we were very glad to return to the Marriott for a good nights sleep.

We did however have another fabulous trek the next morning (after more curry for breakfast) which was fantastic.

In summary... the place was beautiful, but for the £70 a night we paid we felt the rooms could have been much more secured and the food more varied. We are glad we did it, but would advise that if you are going, take a mossie net with you to sleep under so that you feel secure from the creatures that WILL be in your room. I guess we were maybe just a little naive, but if you are scared of bugs (and normally I'm not particulary) then this might not be the place for you. But, for nature lovers, its beautiful, peaceful and relaxing. I must also add, that the staff were very helpful and after talking to them they didn't charge us for the second night, like we thought they might.

Sorry for the essay, but hope this is helpful for some.

Su

Bradford, United...
reviews: 57
1. Re: Review on Wildernest

Thanks for the review...but did you tell the staff that there was a problem so they could fix it?

when we were there they sorted our ant problem out very quickly and they were very good at rectifying stuff promptly.

I was worried that our trip would be the best we would have there and am glad we have not booked to go again as I am now sure it has gone down hill a bit.

When we were there we could not fault anything ..the food was traditional but varied and they did make hubby eggs for brekkie,,,scrambled or boiled ect.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
reviews: 45
2. Re: Review on Wildernest

Thanks for taking the time to post this review. After seeing photos of the Wildernest it is somewhere I fancied going on a future trip to Goa though after having to twist my other half's arm to get him to spend one night in a beach hut I'm not sure I'd be able to persuade him to venture into the Wildernest! I think it's useful that you've pointed out both the positive and negative aspects of your trip, I enjoyed reading it.

Bradford, United...
3. Re: Review on Wildernest

I can honestly say that during our stay we didn't see any bugs or rats and the menu was very varied. Sorry you had a bad experience, I feel awful as I was the one who recommended your stay there.

Destination Expert
for Goa
reviews: 56
4. Re: Review on Wildernest

A lovely review which made me cringe and remember the night I left the light on all night because we had seen but didnt catch a large black spider in our room.

After looking everywhere and not finding it we decided to go to bed but I insisted on the light, just pulling the sheet up to my eyes when they were drawn to a cockroach the size of a mouse hiding in the curtain heading, that was it sleep was impossible for the rest of the night. Hubby jumped out of bed with shoe in hand to splat the damn thing and it just disappeared I went to the local supermarket the next morning and brought a spray and sprayed the room before we left for the day but funnily enough we never found anything.

Cardiff, United...
reviews: 4
5. Re: Review on Wildernest

No worries MadAboutGoa, we had a fantastic time in the days. It most certainly wasn't all bad and we are still glad we went for the experiences that we had. I certainly don't want our reviews to put people off completely, just to give a balanced view and to make sure people know what to expect. A simple thing like a mossie net would have made a huge difference to myself.

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
reviews: 28
6. Re: Review on Wildernest

Have just howled with laughter at Goanluv's description of a night shared with creepy crawlies. But only because I've been there too.

I stayed in a hotel near Udaipur once that was an old Maharajah's hunting lodge in the middle of nowhere and had to share a bathroom with my father - separate rooms though. He used to sleep like the dead, and duly did, while I spent most of the night battling with the biggest grasshopper I've ever seen that was desperate to share my pillow with me. Every time I shrieked and turned the light on, it obligingly disappeared, and every time I turned the light off, it hopped back on to my face. I slept the night with the light on too. And that was the night before we found cockroaches the size of dinner plates forming platoons in the bathroom...

I've also shared my room with a gecko, which is great for getting rid of mozzies, but they do tend to shout about it all night, and been woken up convinced someone was trying to break into the room bravely wrenched open the door, only to come face-to-face with a very large monkey. Not sure who was more surprised, me or the monkey. My husband managed to sleep serenely through all of it.

7. Re: Review on Wildernest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, August 31, 2009