We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route White Sands National Monument to Albuquerque

Which Alamogordo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chelmsford, United...
Best route White Sands National Monument to Albuquerque

We will be travelling from Tombstone via Chiricahua to the White Sands National Monument (a very long day I know!)...we will then need to stay overnight in the vicinity before heading north to Albuquerque the following morning....for ease of onward travel, are we better off staying in Alamogordo (which I know is closer to White Sands) or Las Cruces (which seems to be closer to major roads)...??

4 replies to this topic
Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for New Mexico
reviews: 97
1. Re: Best route White Sands National Monument to Albuquerque

I would stay over in Alamogordo then take US54, Us380, and I-25 to Albuquerque. From White Sands the total mileage this way is 243 miles.

Going back to Las Cruces on US70, then I-25 is 337 miles.

While 54 and 380 are two lanes, the traffic isn't particularly heavy, and a lot of 54 is 4 lanes now. And it is a rather pretty drive, except between Alamogordo and Carrizozo. Rest stop at Valley of Fire State Park which is worth taking a short walk to see. Then, if you are hungry, the Owl Café for a green chili cheeseburger, in San Antonio.

Edited: 12:58 pm, August 18, 2013
Chelmsford, United...
2. Re: Best route White Sands National Monument to Albuquerque

Sandiaman, many thanks for your very prompt response(s).....obviously a big difference in distance...how does time figure in this i.e. is the shorter distance a longer route time wise? it's just that we also have plans when we arrive in Albuquerque......Also, approximately how long would you think is sensible to allow for the 16 mile Dunes Loop Drive (obviously want to stop for photo ops but not sure what else there is to 'do' en route)...just trying to figure out what sort of time we need to leave Tombstone (not afraid of early starts!!)

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for New Mexico
reviews: 97
3. Re: Best route White Sands National Monument to Albuquerque

Haven't been to White Sands in years, so can't help you with Loop driving time. Maybe another DE can help with that.

As to driving to Albuquerque, figure that you will average 60 mph until you reach I-25, so about 4 hours. If you go via Las Cruces, about 5 hours average.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
4. Re: Best route White Sands National Monument to Albuquerque

Definitely Alamogordo but we made trips to White Sands also from Las Cruces. Valley of Fires SP makes a nice short visit and not far from there you'll find the cute Smokey Bear SP in Capitan. Not sure if you'll have the time for that.

Reply to: Best route White Sands National Monument to Albuquerque
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted