We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Tawang (Arunachal Pradesh) India

Bhuj
Visiting Tawang (Arunachal Pradesh) India

I have mild high blood pressure problem and am taking regular medicine (Losacar 50 tablet). Can I visit Tawang during September 2011 (the current month) ? I may travell by road either from Guwahati or Shilong. If yes, what precaution I should take ?.

What is fare of taxi & bus from Guwahati to Tawang and / or Shilong to Tawang ? and how many hours it takes to reach Tawang from both those cities ?

Nitin Pandhi

e-mail : nipanjlm@yahoo.co.in

Ahmedabad, India
1. Re: Visiting Tawang (Arunachal Pradesh) India

You can visit Arunachal in September

Current weather and road status - its still raining in Assam and roads condition is very bad especially, the Tawang stretch starting from Bhalukpong

Fist and foremost you require an innerline permit to visit Arunachal Pradesh. A valid photo i.d. and 2 passport sized photographs are required for that

Issuing authorities are

Liasion Officer,Govt. of Arunachal Pradesh Shillong-1 Meghalaya 0364-224247

Liasion Officer,Govt.of Arunachal Pradesh , Parvati Nagar, Tezpur, Assam 03712-220241

Deputy Resident Commissioner, Govt. of Arunachal Pradesh Chandmari, Guwahati 0361-2452859/2456720

Assuming that you'll be hiring a car or suv, i will advise to make Tezpur, your base for the journey to Tawang.

Unless you are on a record breaking attempt, it is advisable to do the Tezpur to Tawang journey with a break at either Bomdila or Dirang.

Start early from Tezpur, get papers checked at Bhalukpong and take a break at Bomdila, explore around - stay overnight

Next day start early from Bomdila skip Dirang and teach Tawang by late afternoon

(Overnite at Tawang ) If you really want to explore in and around Tawang you need another 2 nights at Tawang

Return journey - Start early from Tawang and reach Dirang around late noon,explore around & overnite at Dirang

Next day you can reach Tezpur by late noon.

Bomdila is at an elevation and a stay over there will help you acclimatize to the heights and low oxygen levels for the onward journey too.

Medication for Altitude Sickness : CHECK WITH YOUR DOC. FIRST IF IT CAN BE HAD ALONG WITH YOUR HI. B.P. medication

•ALTITUDE SICKNESS MEDICATION – ACETAZOLEAMIDE 125 MG.

Recommended dosage 125 mg x 2 / day beyond 8000-9000 feet

Lots of options available at Tezpur for transport

Am not aware about buses but shared Sumos and dedicated Taxis can be hired.

Dedicated vehicle : Rs 1600 - Rs 1700 / day + fuel + driver acco & food @ actuals.

Hope this helps

Jalsa Karo.

2. Re: Visiting Tawang (Arunachal Pradesh) India

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:42 pm, June 19, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Arunachal Pradesh