We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Sea Reef - Fiji

Which Labasa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
reviews: 11
Great Sea Reef - Fiji

Have a dumb question...

We're taking our first trip to Fiji and staying at 2 different resort. One resort claimed to have "direct access to the Great Sea Reef" and charges money to go snorkling there. Another one has snorkling trip included in the price to "Great Sea Reef Lagoon." We've never been to Great Sea Reef nor no much about it. So is there any different between the two resorts' offer? Is Great Sea Reef Lagoon different from Great Sea Reef?

Thanks in advance.

13 replies to this topic
Sydney
reviews: 18
1. Re: Great Sea Reef - Fiji

Hi JJ W,

I've been to the Great Sea Reef from Nukubati Resort and it's about a half hour boat trip out to the reef so not sure what the other resort would call a Great Sea Reef Lagoon as the reef is out in the middle of the ocean.....

Can highly recommend Nukubati if that is one of the resorts you are staying at.

Julie ~

Washington DC...
2. Re: Great Sea Reef - Fiji

Hi BaySydney3,

Thanks! Yes, we are staying at Nukubati. And the other place is Palmlea, which they advertise free trip to Great Sea Reef Lagoon. So I was just curious if they're the same place or not. I asked them and haven't heard back yet.

Any more good tips on Nukubati? =) We'll be out there for 5 days. The brouchure, pictures, and reviews make it sounds heavenly!

Sydney
3. Re: Great Sea Reef - Fiji

Hi JJ W,

Palmlea is a small lodge close to Labasa.....so they would take you to the same reef...maybe just a different part of it.

You'll love Nukubati --- it is a beautiful place.... I've got copies of the menus for our 5 nights. If you'd like to see them, send me your email address in a Private Message and I'll send them to you. Their food is great and you can eat at whatever time you like. Sitting in their huge pavillion and looking out = paradise. Lovely Sena told us that if we wanted any extra food at meal times, just to ask for it, but we always left every meal thinking we've only got a few hours and we'll back to fit more beautiful food in !! We had the best seafood we've ever had at Nukubati. Loved that you could have fish for breakfast too.

We really enjoyed the bit of adventure to get to Nukubati as well i.e., inland plane flight, 4WD trip and then the boat trip - it was great fun, and then you see all the smiling people waving from the beach - it's just so nice.

We're looking at booking another 5 or 7 nights there at the moment for next May. When are you heading over ?

Washington DC...
4. Re: Great Sea Reef - Fiji

Thanks BaySydney3!

Hrm, so it is worth it to go to Great Sea Reef twice? Have you stayed at Palmlea? If so, how was it?

Sydney
5. Re: Great Sea Reef - Fiji

Havn't stayed at Palmlea, but am thinking of having a night there on our next trip...it looks lovely and gets great reviews. I've seen the sign for it -- not far from Labasa.

Up to you about the Great Sea Reef --- if you're staying at Palmlea first, that would help with your planning.......not sure if they would take you to a different area of the reef from each resort though. Might be worth checking directly with the resorts. At least Sena at Nukubati will get back to you quickly.....although I know they are having a wedding there today :-)

Have you heard back from Palmlea yet ?

Emailed you Nukubati's menus - enjoy ^^

Edited: 9:00 pm, August 24, 2012
Washington DC...
6. Re: Great Sea Reef - Fiji

Hello! Just to follow up. I contacted both resorts and I still not sure exactly where the snorkeling location will be lol. So I've decided to go with both resorts. It'll be my first snorkeling experience so 2 to GSR wouldn't be too redudant :) Anyways, here are their response in case anyone wants to know.

Nukubati response: the Great Sea Reef is a long stretch of Reef from the tip of Vanua Levu right up near to Yasawa. So the this is the area you visit for snorkeling.

Pelmlea response: The Great Sea Reef runs along the whole of the north Shore of Vanua Levu. The Great Sea Reef is 180kms long (109miles). We'll be traveling to Nukudranisalia reef a part of the Great Sea Reef.

I'll let you know how Palmlea turns out =D Thanks for all your great tips!

Sydney
7. Re: Great Sea Reef - Fiji

Hi JJ W,

Good that you've heard back from both resorts now -- have you looked at The Great Sea Reef on Google Earth ?? That shows you how big it is and you can also see Nukubati.

Have a great holiday and I'll look forward to both reviews ~

Sydney
8. Re: Great Sea Reef - Fiji

There are a few new reviews up for Nukubati on TA -- every one of them are glowing !!

It's a wonderful place -- you'll love it.

Washington DC...
9. Re: Great Sea Reef - Fiji

I did read the new wonderful reviews. So so excited! =D Thanks again.

All Blacks
10. Re: Great Sea Reef - Fiji

Hi

I am looking at Nukubati Resort too. Can anyone tell me whether you get Fiji Vodaphone coverage inside the resort? Due to work requirements I need to be contactable by phone even on holiday.

Thanks

Melvin

Reply to: Great Sea Reef - Fiji
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Labasa
More Labasa Topics