We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gay couple going to Sharm in May

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Gay couple going to Sharm in May

Hi all..

I'm going to Sharm in May with my Fiancé.. We're staying at the Sharm Grand Plaza Resort.. Was just wondering if any other gay couples have been to Sharm before could tell me if they had a good time and wasn't 'frowned upon'? We're going for a total relaxed break so won't be leaving the resort itself! Would be great for any comments.

Thanks all.

10 replies to this topic
Exhall, United...
1. Re: Gay couple going to Sharm in May

Although Egypt is a Muslim country and homosexuality is not as accepted as in the west, you will have no problems at all. Although not gay myself, I have seen a few gay couples in Egypt over the years, they have not been overtly open with it and have had no worries at all. Go enjoy yourself and don't worry.

London, United...
2. Re: Gay couple going to Sharm in May

Really that's great!! We're not a fan of Public Affection (gay or straight) anyway.. Completely respect their religion too.. Little sigh of relief though. Thanks for your comment :)

London, United...
reviews: 8
3. Re: Gay couple going to Sharm in May

i echo the above response , just dont be to open about it especially outside of the hotel , the staff in the hotel are a bit more relaxed about it but outside is a different matter , just like they dont like to see women in short skirts ect ect , just respect the culture and it will be fine :)

La Herradura, Spain
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
reviews: 162
4. Re: Gay couple going to Sharm in May

Overt displays of affection from both straight and gay couples are not the done thing in Egypt and can be seen as disrepectful to the culture.

I have met a number of gay couples at hotels in Sharm who were discreet and had no problems though at one hotel a lesbian couple were asked to leave after they got very drunk and were rather over affectionate around the hotel.

Enjoy your holiday.

Edited: 4:38 am, February 23, 2014
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
reviews: 182
5. Re: Gay couple going to Sharm in May

Gay friends (male) of mine recently returned from that hotel; they loved it & hope to return. They were concerned, beforehand, & discussed it with me.

They don't show affection in public but it's obvious from their appearance that they're gay. They had no probkems, whatsoever, at the hotel.

regards

Birmingham, United...
reviews: 23
6. Re: Gay couple going to Sharm in May

Saw gay couples at hotels I have stayed at in Egypt on many occasion, and no problems what so ever.....the staff in the hotels are professional and friendly and wont stare or frown......they just accept you as guests.

I'm sure you will have a great time

warrington
reviews: 43
7. Re: Gay couple going to Sharm in May

There always seems to be gay couples when we go to Sharm and they always get treated same as everyone else. Hope you have a great time.

8. Re: Gay couple going to Sharm in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:05 am, February 23, 2014

London, United...
9. Re: Gay couple going to Sharm in May

Thank you to everyone for your comments.

Really has lifted a weight off my shoulders.. I'm not bothered about what people think back in London but I've heard so many stories about Egypt ect!! We look forward to having a nice relaxing break!! Thanks once again :)

essex
reviews: 46
10. Re: Gay couple going to Sharm in May

Hope you enjoy your stay, as others have said open displays of affection from straight couples or gays is not the done thing in Sharm, but am sure you will have a great time.

x

Reply to: Gay couple going to Sharm in May
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted