We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Underwater Cameras

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
north yorkshire
Underwater Cameras

i have just got back from Sharm after doing a week of snorkelling with my fujifilm finepix xp50 series and it turns out that the 5m allowance of depth does not like going nearer to 12m. the camera has decided to pack in and will now not work what so ever. i have been looking at a case for my SLR camera which i have which is a sony alpha 290 but there does not seem to be a specific case for it to go underwater and all the others look like plastic bags. i am willing to sell this camera for one that is more suited to one that can fit an underwater housing. but what is a decent SLR camera thats not too expensive that is compatible with a housing. ?

Redhill
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
reviews: 23
1. Re: Underwater Cameras

Ooh,whole can of works opened here.I own a Nikon d300 but would not consider taking it underwater,2 reasons,1st being I would hate to flood a 1k camera,2nd,the housing for it would be far more expensive than the actual camera,like £2000 for a housing.I actual use a Olympus 5060wz,a discontinued camera maybe but plenty around used and the housings are about £100.The pics are more than exceptable and if it floods( which it will sooner or later) I have a spare waiting in the wings.It ain't what you got,it what you do with it that counts!

North Walsham...
reviews: 27
2. Re: Underwater Cameras

As MrSmall says - a can of worms. You don't say what you class as not too expensive, but SLR housings plus ports plus gears, plus external flashes - it all adds up to NOT CHEAP.

There are many good compact camera/housing options available that won't break the bank. The added advantages are light weight for the baggage allowance, and being able to take the camera out of the housing for general holiday snaps.

If you want more control, a system compact is a good compromise. I moved up from a canon S90 to an olympus pen micro 4/3rds and it offers all the lenses and manual controls you could want, still fits in a carry-on weight allowance easily, with the compromise being a slightly smaller sensor than a full SLR.

You get what you pay for, and underwater photography gets really expensive really quickly when you want more than a compact point and shoot. I still like the Canon S90/S100 range - a great compact with some good manual options and within most budgets - you can pick up an S90 for about £150 or less, and a wpdc 35 housing off amazon for about £50.

Kent
Destination Expert
for Egypt
reviews: 3
3. Re: Underwater Cameras

If you do buy a second hand housing, get a new seal for it, and the first time you use it, don't put the camera in it.

Kent
Destination Expert
for Egypt
reviews: 3
4. Re: Underwater Cameras

If you do buy a second hand housing, get a new seal for it, and the first time you use it, don't put the camera in it.

Manchester, United...
reviews: 16
5. Re: Underwater Cameras

Housing for my Sony A300 was close to £2500

When I was on a diving trip another couple had a panasonic with an underwater housing unit, TZ series I think and the results were impressive

take a look here http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&q=tz+underwater&m=text

6. Re: Underwater Cameras

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 23, 2014