We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sultan Gardens: snorkelling for non-swimmer child

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 7
Sultan Gardens: snorkelling for non-swimmer child

Hi, we are going to stay in Sultan Gardens with our 4-yr boy in December and would love to do some snorkeling with him, ideally in the house reef of the hotel.

But after reading some of the reviews on SG's TA review page, I am not quite sure if SG's house reef is suitable for my son who doesn't swim. Following is one of the reviews:

"The beach has a reef about 10 feet in to the sea so one has to go over a pontoon or walkway to reach water to swim in if you don't like pool swimming, but poor swimmers beware the drop under you is about 15 to 20 meters."

I also remember another reviewer reminding swimmers to be careful as there is a deep drop in the sea when approaching the reef area.

When my son is the water he will have arm bands/life jacket on, but I still feel this deep water will be too much for him. Could someone please let me know if there are areas with shallow water on SG's beach that non-swimmer kids can just wade through to see the fish in the sea?

Thanks.

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 27
1. Re: Sultan Gardens: snorkelling for non-swimmer child

At the waters edge children and adults wade and snorkel, fish swim right out to the edge. A couple of meters in, there is a rope to protect the coral (and rightly so) you cannot walk in further. We actually felt the rope was very safe with children as they couldn't go past it. There is also a walk out path through the water to the house reef and numerous colourful fish come to this walkway. There is plenty of marine life to see.

We had a 3 yo with us and he absolutely loved it, by the end of the week he even wanted us to bring him out to the end of the walkway to where it is deep to see more fish. Have a look at the T/A pictures of the SG beach area and this will all make more sense.

Just make sure you bring some beach shoes with you. ave a look at the T/A pictures of the SG beach area and this will make more sense.

Dont worry, you have piked a fab hotel to bring your son to. The staff will have him spoiled. They are excellent with children.

Enjoy :)

London, United...
2. Re: Sultan Gardens: snorkelling for non-swimmer child

Thank you, simba. I am glad to know that your little boy enjoyed his stay in SG. Hope my son will have lots of fun in the sea too.

May I ask where you bought the beach shoes for your little boy? I haven't seen any in the shop and not sure if we buy some online they will be a good fit.

Thanks.

Dublin, Ireland
3. Re: Sultan Gardens: snorkelling for non-swimmer child

We got them in Lidl in the summer but you can buy them anywhere over there. I think they are about €5. Should have said the sand is a bit coarse, but great for making sandcastles LOL.

A lot of young children were also wearing crocs instead of beach shoes, if that is any help.

Have stayed there twice, first time as a couple, second time with the family which included the 3 yo grandson, enjoyed both times immensely.

Any other Qs just fire away.

Edited: 11:51 am, November 24, 2012
London, United...
4. Re: Sultan Gardens: snorkelling for non-swimmer child

Hi simba, thanks for your reply. Yes, as it happens I do have more questions. :-) Hope you don't mind.

Did you buy the snorkeling kit (mask/tube/fins) for your grandson in Dublin or buy/rent them over there? Or do kids of their age not really need a set? Sorry if the second question sounds duff, but I guess it would be just as fun to see the fish from above the water.

Did you go on Tiran Island and/or Ras Mohammed trip organised by the diving centre in SG ?

Thanks.

Cheshire
5. Re: Sultan Gardens: snorkelling for non-swimmer child

My 5 year old who has had a real fear of water swam there with just arm bands on, she loved it and the shoes we took she never wore. We bought here a snorkel and mask prior to going and she practiced in the bath, sounds a bit silly but it gave her the confidence on brievieing

and having her face in the water.

Edited: 3:45 pm, November 24, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
6. Re: Sultan Gardens: snorkelling for non-swimmer child

Lol exact same as djsches, just snorkel and mask and he practiced in the bath with bubbles and all, but it did stand to him as he was not afraid to put his face in the water and breathe through the snorkel.

We did go to Tiran Island but on our own personal organised trip, is a fantastic day out. Have been to Sharm seven or eight times and always spend a day on the Tiran trip. Last twice have been in June and we were lucky to see a lot of dolphins while returning on the boat :)

Didnt do any trips from the S/G... We just used the dive center for a couple of dives and found it to be excellent.

Also used the hotels taxi service £9 return to Naama Bay and Soho Sq... Well worth the money as they were very reliable, even returned money to our daughter who had overpaid.

London, United...
7. Re: Sultan Gardens: snorkelling for non-swimmer child

Hi djsches and simba02, thanks for your replies. Practising in the bath sounds a jolly good idea. LOL

djsches,

Where did you buy the mask and snorkel for your little girl? I heard Decathlon is quite good for sports equipment, but many people said don't buy snorkeling kit online, particularly the mask as there's no guarantee that the mask will fit. Unfortunately the nearest Decathlon store is miles away from us...

simba02,

Wow, swimming with dolphins... That must be an unforgettable experience. Hope we will be as lucky next month.

Did you take your grandson with you during your latest Tiran Island trip? Did he stay on the boat the whole time? If don't mind, could you please let me know which excursion organiser you used for those trips in Sharm?

Thanks.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Goa, Scottish Highlands
reviews: 125
8. Re: Sultan Gardens: snorkelling for non-swimmer child

This photo will give you an idea of the shallow area, then coral then where the reef face is flickr.com/photos/…set-72157627208367636

Have a wonderful time at a fantastic hotel :-)

Cheshire
9. Re: Sultan Gardens: snorkelling for non-swimmer child

Snorkel and mask were from Decathlon and no problems with it.

Dublin, Ireland
10. Re: Sultan Gardens: snorkelling for non-swimmer child

HI goanjock :)

TAZL, Didnt swim with the dolphins, just saw them from the boat, even that was amazing :)

Tiran was organised for us through an Egyptian friend the last time, but I would highly recommend Sinai Safari Adventures.... ssadventures@live.co.uk is an email add I have used for them in the past. The were very fast and professional in their emails, good prices and they pick you up and drop you back to the hotel.

There is a speedboat trip to Tiran from the reps at the hotel, not sure of the cost as we prefer the full day out with the couple of stops at sea.

The grandson did get off the boat on one of the boat stops (rather hesitantly at first) but was always in his life jacket naturally. He got quite confident after a little bit but we always made sure he had at least two of us by his side.

The lunch on the boats is usually good quality, and the day overall is great value.

Have sent you a PM

Get answers to your questions about Sharm El Sheikh