We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

F.O. Travel Alerts for Egypt & Sinai & "Locate"

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
reviews: 181
F.O. Travel Alerts for Egypt & Sinai & "Locate"

The Foreign Office website has had Egypt noted as a high risk for terrorist attacks for approximately the last 20 years but the warning was often “lost” amidst the other information on that page.

In light of the general unrest, in the Middle East & Arabic-speaking countries, in the last few years, please keep an eye on the link when deciding whether to book a holiday to Egypt.

You should take out comprehensive travel & medical insurance before travelling.

fco.gov.uk/en/…egypt

Please also note the Disclaimer by the Foreign Office:

fco.gov.uk/en/…disclaimer

The purpose of FCO Travel Advice is to provide information and views to help British nationals form their own judgements about travelling to or operating in a particular country. While every care is taken in preparing FCO Travel Advice, the FCO do not assume any responsibility, including legal responsibility, to those who read the Travel Advice and who may choose to take it into account when making any decisions relating to a particular country. Neither the United Kingdom Government nor any member of British consular or diplomatic staff abroad can accept liability for injury, loss or damage arising in any respect of any statement contained in FCO Travel Advice.

(end quote)

BRITISH NATIONALS CAN REGISTER WITH “LOCATE” THROUGH THE F.O. WEBSITE WHEN PLANNING ANY TRIP ABROAD; it’s free.

fco.gov.uk/en/…

Stay safe :-)

62 replies to this topic
Kingston-upon-Hull...
reviews: 39
21. Re: F.O. Travel Alerts for Egypt & Sinai & "Locate"

We were in Sharm for 4 weeks in Nov/early Dec and there is no feeling of it being unsafe at all. The hotels have perhaps stepped up security a bit i.e. asking to see documentation re booking when letting taxis into hotel grounds, but at no time did we feel unwelcome, quite the contrary. The Egyptian hotel staff are all well aware that their futures depend on the tourism in this area.

We are going to Luxor in January and Hurghada in February and are not worried about safety in the hotels/resort areas at all. We will, however, not do any tours through country areas.

Southampton, United...
reviews: 10
22. Re: F.O. Travel Alerts for Egypt & Sinai & "Locate"

I'm going again in February for my 5th visit. I love Sharm taking my daughter and my parents are coming too their 3rd visit. We go for the diving and snorkelling. Lots of shops in Naama be prepared to say 'No Thank-you' alot and don't go to public toilets alone. Not had any bad experience but heard few tales when on a boat trip.

Shame that there are problems there but everywhere has problems.

Sharm El Sheikh...
reviews: 2
23. Re: F.O. Travel Alerts for Egypt & Sinai & "Locate"

I have just arived in Sharm El Sheikh to take over as General Manager at the Grand Hotel. I have worked in Sharm and Egypt for the past 8 or more years and whilst the F and C advice is there , they tend to edge on caution. Sharm is operating as normal and people are here on holiday enjoying the sunshine, Its a great place to visit, excellent beaches, beautiful sea and superb value for money.Dont let government warnings put you off, as with anywhere in the worl, you should always take care-even back home in certain parts of the UK which are a lot more concerning than here in Sharm.

Nottingham, United...
reviews: 6
24. Re: F.O. Travel Alerts for Egypt & Sinai & "Locate"

went sharm over christmas, felt safe through out my whole 2 weeks, and i am going back as felt much safer over their than here in england. enjoy your holiday i know i did.

south west
25. Re: F.O. Travel Alerts for Egypt & Sinai & "Locate"

I think its discusting the way the egyptians treat disabled people at the airport. we where made to pay more for are visa than other personling travel on are flights and on leaving luxor airport, the lifts where not in opperation, which I later found out by people who come to luxor every 2 to 4 weeks that the lift has not been working for mouths and has not been fixed. We came home on the 9th, steve is a diabetic and the staff at the airport was very cruel to steve he nearly went into a comber. He has restricted movement, they laughted at steve the woman did, and I felt like I was going around and around and not getting any where.by the time we got to the door for the lift onto the plane steve was nearly in a comber he kept asking for water but no one cared they just kept shouting at him.He could have died..

London, United...
26. Re: F.O. Travel Alerts for Egypt & Sinai & "Locate"

hi,

can you do a day trip from sharm to jeruselum?? or is it to far to travel in one day!

regards

gill

La Herradura, Spain
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
reviews: 160
27. Re: F.O. Travel Alerts for Egypt & Sinai & "Locate"

If you have a specific question not realted to this topic, it would be better to post a separate question on the forum as your question will get lost here. This thread is about Foreign Office Travel Alerts for Egypt.

england
reviews: 2
28. Re: F.O. Travel Alerts for Egypt & Sinai & "Locate"

Just read your post, that is terrible hope you got home ok and everything is fine now.

Spalding, United...
reviews: 3
29. Re: F.O. Travel Alerts for Egypt & Sinai & "Locate"

Staying at the Grand for two weeks . Flying out on the 16th and cant wait. Just a little concerned as last time I was in Egypt I fell so ill I just wanted to get home . Fingers crossed I get to enjoy this holiday because I so need to just chill ( not been a good few months )

Marie

Edited: 3:34 pm, February 21, 2013
Taba, Egypt
30. Re: F.O. Travel Alerts for Egypt & Sinai & "Locate"

I live in Sinai near Taba Heights in a place called Bir Sweir - feel safer living here than I ever did in UK - it's very quiet, there are lots of check points staffed by police and army and of course we also have the MFO in the hills watching over us too :-)

If you use common sense like you would back home you'll find coming here for holidays is a wonderful experience that you'll want to repeat :-)

Reply to: F.O. Travel Alerts for Egypt & Sinai & "Locate"
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted