We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ramadan in Sharm Ek Sheikh

Which Sharm El Sheikh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sussex, England
Ramadan in Sharm Ek Sheikh

Myself and my Fiance' are due to travel to Sharm El Sheikh and stay at the Mvenpick Golf Resort in Sept 06. We have recenly found out that we will be there during Ramadan. Can you advise what effects this will have on our holiday.

Many Thanks

Sharon

Manchester, United...
1. Re: Ramadan in Sharm Ek Sheikh

Ramadan will start around the 25th of next September. So, I hope you got the dates right.

Anyway, in Sharm, I would say there would be no impact at all. You can stay for 2 weeks and might not even know it is Ramadan unless somebody informs you. Sharm is mainly a tourist resort. It even didn’t exist on the map before the first hotels were built there. So, it is somehow isolated from the everyday life of ordinary Egyptians, which is what Ramadan is all about. If you go to Cairo there is a positive and a negative side. Negative is that tourist sites would close earlier than the usual closing times making the sightseeing day shorter and of course bad traffic jam in the few hours before breakfast time. Also some restaurants (not all) would be closed during the day hours and almost all the places that serve Alcohol (again not all) would suspend that part of their services, but the positive side means you would enjoy more authentic entertainment and cultural activities at night and many delicious foods and drinks that you wouldn’t find in the regular days in addition to feeling a very special and different atmosphere that would make you know more about the culture and the lifestyle of Egyptians. I would recommend Cairo in Ramadan but not for a 1st timer to Egypt.