We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why are they doing this?

Which Dahab hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland
reviews: 1
Why are they doing this?

theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/05/mount-sina…

Chesterfield...
reviews: 50
11. Re: Why are they doing this?

just an update we visited st catherines monestry yesterday. we arrived at 10am and were the only tourists there until 12pm when we left. we had to go by armed police convoy behind us to protect us as we were the first tourists to go since the reopening. there was absolutely nothing to worry about except the presence of the police behind us making me nervous that something would happen but it did not and there was nothing on the road and desert desert desert mountains and more mountains. we arrived at the monestry and was welcomed by the guides inside and I felt at ease. although some parts of it were closed like the towers and they have also closed off the bush to stop anyone picking the leaves off. you can see it and take pictures but cant actually touch it.

the museum was actually quite good paid 25le to enter and had books, the original monks clothing, a relic etc. I did enjoy that I have been twice and never saw the museum part. :) we also stopped off at dahab and felt very very sad it was like a ghost town many shops and restaurants closed. we did eventually find a restaurant and had a few drinks by th sea. we saw around 6 divers coming out the sea and not one other tourist. the local villager said that the population had dropped to 2% it is such a shame. my dad still managed to buy a few local sourvenirs with hardly any hassle.

Scotland
reviews: 1
12. Re: Why are they doing this?

Thanks for the latest on the monastery re-opening, posters.

West Midlands
Destination Expert
for Dahab
reviews: 16
13. Re: Why are they doing this?

Very sad to hear about Dahab being a ghost town. Tourists need to return.

14. Re: Why are they doing this?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 16, 2014