We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dahab Safety

Which Dahab hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london
dahab Safety

Hi there

My boyfriend and I are due to visit Dahab for 10 days mid April. We have been keeping an eye on the Government travel advice which has up to now said Dahab and Sharm resorts are an exception to the 'Do not travel' rule.

I have just seen an article published an hour ago about 3 tourists being taken hostage by Bedouins on their journey to Dahab from Taba and am growing ever more concerned.

Whilst i'm sure these incidents are few and far between I am keen to get as much reassurance as I can!

Any advice welcomed

Blackburn, United...
reviews: 6
11. Re: dahab Safety

We travelled from Sharm to Dahab on 11th March, Transfer booked with A2B transfers. There were only 2 of us and we travelled by car. As it was dusk, then dark, we were shall I say "a little apprehensive" but we were fine. The transfer back was with others on a mini bus.

I really hope nothing ever happens to people who are kidnapped, as we really like the Egyptians & Bedouin People & it would be devastating to both communities if anything bads happened.

We have been to Egypt 10 times & usually feel very safe.

reviews: 4
12. Re: dahab Safety

I travelled from Sharm to Dahab at 1130 at night in a minibus with one other passenger, the only part of the journey tha was a bit scarey was when we had to drive on the others side of the road because our side had been washed away by the winter floods. Don't be frightened by reports of incidents, they happen all over the world and ruin your holiday if you dwell on them. Remember you have to travel back aswell, so you will destroy the last day I or two of your holidays worrying about nothing.

13. Re: dahab Safety

My boyfriend and I are traveling to dahab mid April too, and though there is the risk if kidnap, we've seen hostages are generally treated well and released quickly (this is from reading middle eastern news sites as well as the BBC). We've decided not to dwell on it and if it happens it might be a talking point when we get back!

On a serious note, bad news will normally be more reported than good news, and considering the volume of tourists to kidnappings, they are quite isolated incidents. Just stay safe. Try to travel with transfers and ideally during the day.

I'm nervous too, but I won't let it ruin my holiday! 8 days till I fly out, can't wait!

(Also, beware of the mosquitos. Take repellent.)

14. Re: dahab Safety

My boyfriend and I are traveling to dahab mid April too, and though there is the risk if kidnap, we've seen hostages are generally treated well and released quickly (this is from reading middle eastern news sites as well as the BBC). We've decided not to dwell on it and if it happens it might be a talking point when we get back!

On a serious note, bad news will normally be more reported than good news, and considering the volume of tourists to kidnappings, they are quite isolated incidents. Just stay safe. Try to travel with transfers and ideally during the day.

I'm nervous too, but I won't let it ruin my holiday! 8 days till I fly out, can't wait!

(Also, beware of the mosquitos. Take repellent.)

In Motion
15. Re: dahab Safety

Most small hotels and camps can book a taxi or microbus, and they are more likely to work with local Bedouin drivers than big hotels that have their own transport or work with a big company. These small hotels and camps usually help with booking transport even if you are not staying at them.

Cairo, Egypt
reviews: 83
16. Re: dahab Safety

Iarrived at 5:30 in Sharm and then was driven to Dahab in a small white van. There was not much traffic but there are 4 check points along the way...which have been there awhile. I am an expat female traveling alone and find the community here very safe. No hassles and even the shop owners are not agressive like in other places. Come an enjoy a beautiful spot.

Scotland
reviews: 1
17. Re: dahab Safety

Re: the trip to Aqaba...

http://www.abmaritime.com.jo/

Barendrecht, The...
18. Re: dahab Safety

Dear haililee

Have you been to dahab and jordan already ?

We are going begiining of august and we also want to cross the border by road at taba-eilat-aqaba

If possible pls let me know how everything went

B rgds tino hoogland from the netherlands

Malaysia
reviews: 1
19. Re: dahab Safety

Hi Tina,

We would be in Dahab this July 17. We will send u a message as soon as I find out. We have been to Dahab last year n returning to the same hotel this July. Just sent messages to both our pick up driver n hotel manager. Will let u know ASAP once I receive their reply.

Cheers,

Ailee

Regina, Canada
reviews: 140
20. Re: dahab Safety

Hey Tina! Yes, we were in Dahab and Jordan in April. There was no issues on crossing the border, took about 2 hrs to get through, but no hassles or issues. One thing that suprized us is they did not charge us for a Jordanian visa at all which I though there was a visa cost. We took a vehicle arranged by our hotel in Dahab, then walked across the border out of Egypt into Israel. Took a taxi from there to the Jordan border and then crossed through there on foot where we met up with a vehicle picking us up to take us to our hotel in Aqaba.

We were fortunate that we had no issues, I would think that would be the case the majority of the time for most people, I guess there just needs to be awareness that there is obviously a risk.

Hope this helps!