We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cruise around galapagos on a budget

Which Puerto Ayora hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Malmo, Sweden
cruise around galapagos on a budget

i am looking for a 4 or 5 Day Cruise round Galapagos on a tight budget. anybody got any tips ? myself and my partner arrive in baltra january 17th .

6 replies to this topic
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
reviews: 17
1. Re: cruise around galapagos on a budget

Dear Michelle,

"Galapagos cruise" and "budget" don't go well together. Just GETTING to Galapagos will cost you nearly $600 - with that kind of money, you could likely arrange for an unforgettable 3-4 day adventure on the mainland. A tip for finding lower priced cruises is to be flexible in your cruise dates and look for last minute deals. There are several websites out there with such things - better yet if you can make it to the islands and take a few days to snoop around.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Evanston, Illinois
2. Re: cruise around galapagos on a budget

Heather I left you a couple of questions on what I realize was a very old forum...I'm landing in Baltra on April6th with my daughter and would like to cruise around for about 4 days. We leave on April 11th back out of Baltra. Is this realistic? Would you recommend a particular cruiseship? Would you stay around Santa Cruz and take a few day trips? My daughter who lives in Quito now for a year really wants to get to Isabella. I don't want to spread ourselves too thin and be tired, given the amount of traveling it took me to get there from Chicago. What would you recommend? We are both in good shape, highly active etc but I do get very motion sick. However, the patch does work for me. Thanks so much! Beth

New Westminster...
reviews: 23
3. Re: cruise around galapagos on a budget

Cruises are great but if you are short of time and budget you could just go over to Isabella on the daily speedboat and stay there. There is enough fascinating stuff to do from the town to keep you busy for a few days. (Los Tunelles, up to the volcano, snorkling right near the town, beach walks, etc).

Bloomington, Indiana
reviews: 1
4. Re: cruise around galapagos on a budget

We are also looking for a short cruise (5 days? 7 days?) that originates in Puerto Ayora. That way, we can combine a boat experience with land-based exploring of Isla Isabella and San Cristobal. Where can I get information about cruises that don't originate on the mainland? Sally

Lakewood, CO
reviews: 23
5. Re: cruise around galapagos on a budget

Hi, Sally--

Can you clarify your question a bit? It sounds like you're asking for naturalist cruises that don't originate on mainland Ecuador. However, NONE of the naturalist cruises originate on Ecuador, even if you purchase one there. You have to fly from Quito or Guayaquil. Cruises then start either from Puerto Ayora (Santa Cruz) or San Cristóbal. And the majority start from Puerto Ayora, if that's what you're looking for.

Tina

trip reports (and much more) at http://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/

Miramar, Florida
reviews: 1
6. Re: cruise around galapagos on a budget

Beth, due to the few days of your stay, I do recommend that you stay the first and last night in Santa Cruz so you have time to board your flight back on time and become acquainted with the alternatives available. We are also arriving on April 6th from Guayaquil via LAN and will stay for 8 days. However, after so much research and talking to friends who have been there before, we have decided to take daily land tours to the other islands and split our hotel stay between Santa Cruz and Isabela. But, the last night, we made sure to sleep in Santa Cruz to take our flight back from Baltra Airport which is approx. 1 hour at the most from downtown. Enjoy your trip

Reply to: cruise around galapagos on a budget
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted