We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which neighborhood is best for summer rental?

Which Atlantic City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
which neighborhood is best for summer rental?

OK.. I have a few biggies: I am looking at renting a beach house this summer and hopefully having my daughters graduation party there with close friends and family . We need a pet friendly house as well. My husband loves Atlantic City and since our daughter was little, we have come down for the day, only staying over once at the Atlantic Palace. However, I have read all of the bad things as well and am not sure about spending the week.

I have found three houses, two in the newly developed Gardeners Basin area - one off of N Maine Ave looking out toward Brigantine, and the other off of N Massachusettes. The third house is right on the boardwalk south of AC going toward Ventnor.

We have never been to Gardners Basin, but it sounds like there are local things to do if we don't want to go into the main area of AC, or if we want to run to a neughborhood place for dinner. However, my daughter and her friends will want to go to the beach and the small one around N Maine ave looks creepy in the pics.

The other factor is i have a little bit of a red flag with the boardwalk house in that it is a lot less $$ than others I have looked at. I have seen pics of some of the rooms, not all. They are OK, but the outside looks great, overlooking the ocean on the boardwalk. So basically not sure which way to go. Safety in coming and going is my overall concern. Also the Gardeners Basin houses have garages. I don't believe the boardwalk house does.

Just to throw in one more thing: LBI would be great and easier access to party guests from up north. However, we are an interacial family and my husband would probably feel uncomfortable and board. I don't remember seeing many other people there except white. Please correct me if I am wrong. I really need suggestions. Thanks!

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
reviews: 40
1. Re: which neighborhood is best for summer rental?

I'm not sure this post will last as things like race are not allowed at TA. But I can post some stuff. The 2 rentals in the NorthEast Inlet [Gardners Basin area]. That area is all newer housing built by the CRDA as it was all Pauline's Prarie. They're mostly all still in good shape. >>the small one around N Maine ave looks creepy in the pics<< This is one of my favorite beaches in AC as it's on the Inlet and the waves are gentle. And there is mostly families there. Plus there is lotsa sandglass to collect while beachcombing.

The oceanfront boardwalk place may be a good choice as the beach further down is larger. While there is less boardwalk attractions down past Atlantic Club, the boardwalk is intact and you can walk up to the attractions. In the Inlet area, the boardwalk was washed away in Hurricane Sandy. You cannot walk the boardwalk to the oceanfront any longer. But the street it's on is not posted, so I have no idea of the surrounding area of this rental

And for grins, smiles, giggles and larfs, my last visit to LBI was a wedding of a mixed race couple that live on LBI

new york
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
reviews: 2
2. Re: which neighborhood is best for summer rental?

The N Maine Ave section closest to Gardner’s Basin is a nice area with mostly new residential buildings. It’s close to nearby Basin attractions and you are correct the closest ocean beach are ½ a mile or so away. I would prefer that to the N Mass Ave location, which I believe also has a lot of attractive new residential buildings.

If the Boardwalk house is really “right on the Boardwalk south of AC going toward Ventnor” it sounds like a good deal. Is it in AC or Ventnor? Either way I guess it’s an older property, but the area is OK and the beaches are there. I have friends who enjoyed many entire summers around there, even a block or two away from the Boardwalk in Ventnor. They walked some blocks to get on the jitney’s every hour of the day or night and none ever had any problems. I was actually with them there on a few late nights.

I hope this helps and I expect others here will have more thoughts/suggestions. I agree with rship's descriptions, but understand and must honestly agree, [with exceptions as rship pointed out}, with your references to LBI.

Enjoy your visit and congratulations for whatever your daughter did to graduate!

Edited: 9:50 pm, May 18, 2013
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
reviews: 63
3. Re: which neighborhood is best for summer rental?

Without addresses its kind of tough to be sure but I wouldn't stay in the inlet. The closer to Ventnor is generally safer. If it was me looking for a house rental I'd look at either Brigantine or Ventnor, Margate or Longport and drive to AC to whatever tourist sites you wanted to visit.

Philadelphia...
4. Re: which neighborhood is best for summer rental?

Thanks everyone for your quick replies! First , the one house is in the neighborhood of Caspian and N Maine. The other is across the basin on N Massachusettes between the other end of Caspian and Sewell.

The third house's address is Boardwalk and is about 5-6 blocks past the Hilton.

rship, I love sandglass and woud probably enjoy the beach, I just didn't like the sight of the destroyed boardwalk looming in the water. Thanks for telling me your personal take on it , sometimes it's hard to understand a picture. easy dave, thanks for understanding my concerns about LBI.

jerrysnj, now that I have more specific locations, I hope that helps ( anyone) with more specific feedback. Also, I had some concerns about Brigantine similar to that of LBI. Longport etc... well one you put in "pet friendly" in REALLY narrows the field, so no luck ( or at least affordable luck) down there. Thanks again you guys have really been a help, but as I said now you have the locations so.... :)

new york
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
reviews: 2
5. Re: which neighborhood is best for summer rental?

The Caspian & N Maine would be my choice for the Basin area because of a great location with very close access to Basin attractions, the park and beach promenade. But the older Boardwalk location would probably be my first choice if parking and the rooms are ok. I assume “5-6 blocks past Hilton” means it’s in Ventnor. That’s a nice area with great beaches and very near where I joined friends who owned a house and spent entire summers and more there. Be aware beach tags are needed in Ventnor, but AC is still one of the few remaining free-to-use-the=beach towns in New Jersey.

For more choices because of your pet(s) you might want to consider this:

www.atlanticcitypethotelandgrooming.com/

yelp.com/biz/atlantic-city-pet-care-kennel-a…

Philadelphia...
6. Re: which neighborhood is best for summer rental?

just found that it is in the Chelsea section of AC. I counted about 15 blocks to the Ventnor line.

Moorestown, New...
reviews: 18
7. Re: which neighborhood is best for summer rental?

I would pick the house closer to Ventnor. It is in a decent area that is most likely quite at night.

A.C. was trying to pass an ordinance against short term "under 90 days" rentals. I don't think it ever passed but might be worth looking into just to play it safe.

pressofatlanticcity.com/communities/atlantic…

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
reviews: 63
8. Re: which neighborhood is best for summer rental?

You are right that Ventnor is about 15 blocks from the Atlantic Club. So many people think Ventnor is just past Albany Ave but they are wrong. 5 blocks from Atlantic Club puts this house around Dover Ave which I'm not thrilled about. Its an area rapidly going downhill, but I still think its better than the inlet properties safety wise. The inlet buildings may be fine but when I recommend a place I think safety first and the standard I use is would I let my wife walk that neighborhood at night and I would say no to all three of these locations. They may be fine during the day but you're there 24 hours and don't need to be concerned about coming and going at night. If you're set on staying in AC the best neighborhood along the beach would be from Raleigh Ave to Jackson Ave. of the places you listed If I had to stay in one I would go with the one south of Atlantic Club followed by the Maine Ave location. I would not consider the one on Massachusettes Ave at all, there are some new buildings that look very nice but there are still some older slum type structures very nearby.

Philadelphia...
9. Re: which neighborhood is best for summer rental?

wow, thanks! I am really starting to think about maybe Brigantine, or further into Ventnor.

The Chelsea prop is on the corner of Elberon Ave. and Boardwalk, between Lincoln Pl and S Dover.

I am having uneasy feelings as well because

ALL of the properties I have seen on the internet are presented proudly by the owners. Beautiful pics, lists of ammenities, availabity calendar, and lots of reviews.

This boardwalk property is half the price of comps in t

he surrounding town s. It took me

3 emails to get pics sent piecemeal, and not the best ones first. House is beautiful but cluttered w personal belongings. It is also on the market for 1.4 mill. , says it rents for 6000 a month, and only 1500 a week.

On the other hand, the N Maine prop, called "The Lucky Beach House", has 125 stellar reviews, all from families.

The Mass Ave. prop, same owner and called Top something Townhouse, has stellar reviews, but all from bachelor parties and the like. I already nixed that one.

Are any of you familiar with either of these?

Guess I'll keep looking, really don't want to spend thousands and want everyone to have fun.

three d

Edited: 10:15 am, May 19, 2013
Philadelphia...
10. Re: which neighborhood is best for summer rental?

disregard the typo at the end-couldn't delete it:)