We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can someone tell me how much Samsung S5 costs in Medellin ?

Which Medellin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Can someone tell me how much Samsung S5 costs in Medellin ?

My phones broken but since I think Ill be living in Medellin for the next year at least, I was thinking it would make sense to buy the S5 there so it can be covered under warrenty assuming the cot of the phone isnt too much higher then other places.

So I was wondering if someone could be so kind to help me find how much it generally goes for over there in Medellin before I arrive I would super appreciate the help! :)

9 replies to this topic
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
reviews: 72
1. Re: Can someone tell me how much Samsung S5 costs in Medellin ?

Electronics are always more costly in Colombia, also would not suggest to purchase an expensive phone, you will get added attention from potential bad guys, pickpockets are very skilled in Medellin

I would just buy a used cheap unlocked smartphone in the US and then get a chip for it in Medellin.

San Diego...
2. Re: Can someone tell me how much Samsung S5 costs in Medellin ?

Really? Is it that bad where nobody can use smart phones in public??? I have an old smart phone right now I can use... but was hoping to get a nice one :'( lol

New York City, New...
reviews: 9
3. Re: Can someone tell me how much Samsung S5 costs in Medellin ?

You definitely can have a smart phone but you'd be drawing unnecessary attention. I was in Medellin late last year and that was one of the things the locals kept reminding me about. It seems to be an easy target for thieves.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Colombia
reviews: 21
4. Re: Can someone tell me how much Samsung S5 costs in Medellin ?

Average price of an unlocked Samsung S5 in Medellin : 1,500,000 to 1,700,000 pesos. That is to say USD 750 to 900.

Usually USD 700 on Amazon.com in the US.

You can check offers on www.mercadolibre.com.co. This is the Colombian Amazon. Most of the sellers also have a physical store and offer the possibility to buy online and get the phone to their place. Most of them are also able to buy your used phone (hence making the new phone cheaper).

Yes, you have to be careful when using your cell phone in a public place (metro, bus, street...). There is a huge black market fed by stolen phones. They're even able to change the IMEI (unique indentification of a phone, supposedly unbreakable) with the IMEI of clean phones.

UK it's a OK
reviews: 6
5. Re: Can someone tell me how much Samsung S5 costs in Medellin ?

The s5 will cost more in Colombia than it does in the US as someone has already stated.

Like any country / city in the world there will be areas where nobody bats an eyelid if you are using the latest, expensive cell phone model. But there will also be areas where the same cell phone will be like a shining beacon to a robber.

As you will most probably be in areas that are unfamiliar to you, you need to decide in advance whether or not you are prepared to risk having a new s5 stolen from you.

Me personally I always take one of my older, less up to date but still more than adequate cell phones with me when I travel and simply buy a local SIM for it. That way it's no big deal if I lose it or have it stolen, inconvenient sure but not such a problem. Similarly I do take my iPad for use in the hotel but rarely take it out of the room as losing it would be disastrous and an iPad Air is a lot cheaper than a Samsung s5 (in the UK anyway)

Medellin
reviews: 74
6. Re: Can someone tell me how much Samsung S5 costs in Medellin ?

Just about everyone I know, Foreigners and Colombians, has a smartphone; most switched from a Blackberry to Samsung or Iphone; they are everywhere. Be sensible and generally you will be fine - especially if you are going to live in Poblado / Envigado / Laureles. Like most Colombians I try to to walk with it to my ear outside the metro stations or in El Centro for example.

Medellin
reviews: 74
7. Re: Can someone tell me how much Samsung S5 costs in Medellin ?

''NOT to walk'' it should read.

Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
reviews: 72
8. Re: Can someone tell me how much Samsung S5 costs in Medellin ?

Most likely you wont get mugged for your cell phone but never leave it out of your sight, never put anything down of value and then look away, things disappear very quickly. Just a couple seconds of inattentiveness - and its gone, the wife and kids have lost a number of cell phones, generally cheap crappy ones, but still gone.

I would hate to lose a $700 phone.

San Diego...
9. Re: Can someone tell me how much Samsung S5 costs in Medellin ?

Thanks Stephan501 for that www.mercadolibre.com.co link! Very useful!!!

Reply to: Can someone tell me how much Samsung S5 costs in Medellin ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted