We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medellin or Bogota ??

Which Medellin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Munford, Tennessee
reviews: 16
Medellin or Bogota ??

In March we'll revisit Cartagena.

But we'd like to visit another city that has a plaza,places to shop for handicrafts,drink coffee and enjoy colonial type architecture.

Can anyone help!

Thanks Gene

UK it's a OK
reviews: 6
1. Re: Medellin or Bogota ??

Do some research on both cities and I'm sure it will help you make a decision.

If you don't have time to do any research, go to Bogota and hope for the best.

Medellin, Colombia
2. Re: Medellin or Bogota ??

Medellin! Lovely temperatures, friendly people, very nice little towns with plazas, typical coffees and colonial architecture. www.paisasky.blogspot.com/p/medellin.html

Munford, Tennessee
3. Re: Medellin or Bogota ??

THANKS FOR YOUR HELPFUL INFO!!

I've tried to evaluate Medellin and Bogota from all types of reading.But Medellin does appear to have more of a historic area??

Need to chose a hotel that's close to historic area and pay about $90-100 US

Can you give me some guidance and recommend a couple of places!!!

Headed there in March after stop in Cartagena.

Gene

Havana, Cuba
4. Re: Medellin or Bogota ??

Medellin is a relatively new town and the city itself does not have much of a historic area (there are some interesting historic/colonial towns within driving distance though). What research led you to believe that Medellin has more of a historic area than Bogota?

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
reviews: 7
5. Re: Medellin or Bogota ??

I think your research has led you astray, Bogota is much more historic than Medellin, as stated there are other older towns close to Medellin. Have you also considered visiting some smaller historic towns or you mostly interested in large historic cities.

I was viewing a collage of brilliant photos from a tour in Jardin Antioquia, lovely old colonial towns have a way of prying you out of the city.

If you need a few recommendations for interesting hotels in Bogota I would be happy to forward them.

Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
reviews: 64
6. Re: Medellin or Bogota ??

Medellin, not very historic but santa fe antioquia is close and has what you are looking for, it is much easier to get around in medellin, Bogota much bigger, cooler, damper and more $$$ but more historic and cultural.

If ou go to Medellin, dont miss going to Parque arvi via the metro cable.

Menasha, Wisconsin
reviews: 64
7. Re: Medellin or Bogota ??

I agree cities around Medellin are historic. Bogota is much more International if that is what you are looking for. If you want a smaller city feel where the people are warm and the temperatures are nice go to Medellin.

New York City, New...
reviews: 133
8. Re: Medellin or Bogota ??

There are dozens of Hotels on or around La 70 in the $50 - $75 range including breakfast. The Metro stop is there and its about 15 minutes to the downtown area.

I have stayed at the Hotel Florida which is about $60 a night.

Bogota, Colombia
reviews: 33
9. Re: Medellin or Bogota ??

If you're looking for historic towns as well as big shopping centres, I would say Bogotá. You could visit La Candelaria, which is the oldest suburb of Bogotá and the historical centre - cobbled streets, old colonial-style buildings as well as restaurants and museums. And there definitely isn't a lack of shopping centres throughout the city. But Bogotá is a lot bigger than Medellín and is quite cold compared to Medellín which has gorgeous weather year-round.

Munford, Tennessee
10. Re: Medellin or Bogota ??

So appreciate the help!!

Pardon,if I ask which city was the hotel florida and what is "La 70"

Are any of these near old world areas??

Super thanks,

Gene