We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

excellent teacher/experience guide Cartagena

Which Cartagena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
reviews: 11
excellent teacher/experience guide Cartagena

I have recently returned from Colombia. As part of my travels, I went to Cartagena. Before my travels, I contacted Gustavo Valiente, gustavovalientemosquera@gmail.com, for a spanish experience. I had read about him in a different posting on Trip Advisor. He was fantastic.

Gustavo speaks fluent English. We did an experiential exploration of Cartagena while talking Spanish - and many times English - and learning all kinds of things about the culture. We started off going to the University where law students and social workers are educated. Gustavo went right up to some students and we started talking about their education. Gustavo did not know it at the time but I am a lawyer and I was thrilled to talk law to these students.

We then talked to a street vendor who was very intelligent and learned some of his life.

At lunch, Gustavo had a lawyer friend who was unbelievably passionate about the law while being totally disillusioned about the system. He spoke fluent English. He took us to the courthouse. Again, before our outings, Gustavo did not even know I was a lawyer. What a fabulous experience.

Our final outing on day 1 was to meet an owner of one of the beautiful hostals in the old city. It turned out that she was also an attorney but now owns the hostal.

On our second day, Gustavo showed me the markets, going from the lowest level gradually going to the nicest. We talked to some of the vendors in the lowest market. It was so interesting to see the contrast.

Later that same day, we went to visit the only synagogue in Cartagena. I told Gustavo of my interest in any Jewish aspects of Cartagena and he arranged for me to meet the Jewish lay leader - there is no rabbi - and visit the synagogue. Our conversation was in Spanish and English.

Even if you are not looking for a Spanish experience, Gustavo can provide you with all sorts of interesting cultural aspects of Cartagena not seen on any tour. You actually meet people and explore daily life.

Gustavo is also an excellent companion and very knowledgeable about Cartagena. He is so much fun to be with.

Gustavo also does formal lessons. He is very flexible depending on what the student wants to do.

If you are looking for "experiences" be it Spanish or otherwise, Gustavo is excellent. It was such an amazing experience to be with him for several of the days that I was in Cartagena.

pennsylvania
reviews: 15
1. Re: excellent teacher/experience guide Cartagena

was the cost the same as private lessons ?

I was thinking hiring a translator to help me with my spanish as I vacation might work better then a formal class

Seattle
reviews: 11
2. Re: excellent teacher/experience guide Cartagena

Gustavo's fees are extremely reasonable for what is offered. I suggest that you contact him for specifics.

3. Re: excellent teacher/experience guide Cartagena

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 pm, February 11, 2014
4. Re: excellent teacher/experience guide Cartagena

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 13, 2015