We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how much to budget for food per day?

Which Cartagena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta
reviews: 1
how much to budget for food per day?

I forgot to add to my previous post that I will be staying in an aptartment for a month and would like to know what a reasonable food budget would be per day or week.

New York City, New...
reviews: 31
1. Re: how much to budget for food per day?

Cartagena is definitely expensive and I noticed that the supermarket prices were very comparable to NYC. Cold cuts,bread,cheese,meats are similar priced to the States. You have to do compare different brands like here in the States. A generic brand as opposed to a popular brand might be less expensive. I noticed that Vivero and Olimpica were less expensive supermarkets than Carulla(which is more expensive, but might have a bit more variety). Fruits and vegetables are less expensive if you buy them on the street from the street vendors. The fruits and veggies are pretty safe to buy off the street. They are fresh and nice looking. I would go to the supermarket here and there and spent easy $25USD on a couple of bottled sodas,a few beers,some cheese,cold cuts,a loaf of bread.

Richland, Washington
reviews: 7
2. Re: how much to budget for food per day?

I didn't find it too expensive. I stayed at a hotel which offered a free breakfast (Hotel Centro in the walled city....great place). I then usually bought snacks from the many street vendors and then had a dinner...and most weren't that bad. if you want to find cheap (& yummy) food, it isn't hard.

I loved cartagena (went in Feb '08).

Cartagena, Colombia
3. Re: how much to budget for food per day?

I didn`t find it expensive at all. If you go out to eat don`t go to the obvious tourist traps and you should be able to get meals much cheaper then in the U.S. I agree with the previous post though on their recomindation for where to shop for food. Do shop on the street the fruit and veggies are very safe. I was there for 2 months and never got sick. I also ate most of the street food unless it looked wayyy to scary and never got sick. Overall I would budget about what you would spend where you live in a month for food. You will hopefully com back with a few dollars in your pocket, but that should be safe. I found that eating out is so much cheaper there that it might be worth eating out most meals. But not in the tourist place in the local places.

4. Re: how much to budget for food per day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 am, September 25, 2009