We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guide recommendation

Chengdu, China
reviews: 38
Guide recommendation

Asalaam Alaikum!

For historical and political reasons, I highly recommend you use a local Ugyher tour guide in XinJiang. The guide(s) I cannot recommend highly enough are Abdul's Travel Service (silkroadinn.com). They speak the language, know the locals and the province like the back of their hands. You say you've got one of Abdul's 5 brothers as your guide? No worries, they are all knowledgeable and all but one of them are named Abdul! A real boon for us middle-aged types with noun problems!

We took 2 separate trips to XinJiang last year (2009). The first, in May, was to the west and south of the province. The attractions we expected to "Wow" us paled in comparison to simple walks in old-town Kashgar, warming up in the yurt with the Kyrgs at Lake Karakul, the Sunday Markets in Khotan, the Talamakkan Desert and of course, THE FOOD!!! The photography opportunities are endless.

Our second trip was in September, to the northern and westerns parts, at a time our embassy was cautioning about travel in the province because of the "troubles" in July. Abdulwahab made our trip worry-free. In fact the only disconcerting parts of the trip were frequent visits to Chinese police stations for the once-over and the omnipresence of the Chinese army. We traveled to Yili (Yining) where we had the honor or staying with Abdulwahab's family. What a terrific way to experience the culture, food and hospitality of the Uygher people! His mother cooked a fabulous lunch for us despite the fact that it was Ramadan, and we broke fast with a huge feast along with his extended family. They were the most kind, genuine, gentle people. The food in Yili needs to be mentioned here: I have never had better ice cream in my life, and my travel mate ate a cumin barbequed fish that she said was the possibly the best fish she'd ever tasted!!!

The rest of trip to Kanas, though scenic and adventurous, was anti-climatic.

I have traveled the world, but XinJiang has really touched my soul. I believe a big reason for that is Abdulwahab's Travel Service. If the brothers can keep two middle-aged women happy and contented, they are doing something right!

Go to XinJiang - don't hesitate. It will change your life.

Look up Abdulwahab - You won't be sorry.

Hosh.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Destination Expert
for Pakistan
reviews: 6
1. Re: Guide recommendation

I found that China offer well trained & professional guides, but again will recommend to hire a guide from the same place where your interest to visit. I was in Kashgar in the year 2006, found quite enggaged local kashgar tour operating company Caravan International adventure run by Mr. Kamil, got chance to meet their guide, remember that was the year in which an hollywood film "Kite Runner" shooting. I saw almost 600 crew of the hollywood and i met Mr. Kamil in the Chine Bagh hotel, he offered me to work in the film as the crew need some Pakistani origin people. But very sorry to say, i was committed with other work and bad luck couldn't to work with such film, today as it is one of the most film it seems.

Anyhow, it was good to know Mr. Kamil in Kashgar, he showed me Kahgar by his own car. After few days i left for Urumqi and found another company Silk Route Tour www.silkroute.cn run by Mr. Abdulrehman and the operation Manager Mr. Miralim, nice people.

there must be another well trained guides, but for now i can only reccommend these two companies as they have different language speaking tour guides.

Happy Travels!

HT

Edited: 10:30 am, September 13, 2010
singapore
reviews: 2
2. Re: Guide recommendation

i saw the price on silkroad tour, very high price target for westerner.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Destination Expert
for Pakistan
3. Re: Guide recommendation

okly, if you say the prices are to high .... then what you think if you can go through north pakistan keeping your arrival at islamabad & departure from Urumqi... hiring a guide from Pakistan can make big changes means cheaper. Further more you can consider below itineray...

1) Islamabad-Besham or catch domestic flight to Gilgit-

2) do day hikes/treks around gilgit (fairy meadows treks with nanga parbat bc trek for easy and two days tour

3) local shightseeing/meeting people, visiting typical mountains bazaar, wtnessing high mountains

4) Drive to hunza shangri la

5) local visits include old baltit fort, day hikes, water chanel walk, meeting the long living people of Hunzukuts (hunza people), taste of their traditional food which been coz of long living people on earth.

6) Drive to sost en route stop at photogenic points.

7) morning immigration & custom clearance at pakistan side, corssing of khunjerab border (Pakistan & China) to Tashgurgan (town of xinjiang province of China.

8) Morning immigration & custom clearance, depart for Kashgar en en route stop for witness of Muztag Ata peak of pamir and Karakole Lake.

9) keep two days for city tour of Kashgar, which includes (Kashgar sunday bazaar, animal market & Eid Gah

10) Departure to Urumqi by bus/train

11) City tour of capitl city of Xinjiang province.

following is the company i know conduct regular overland trips from Islamabad to Urumqi if it help can contact www.visitatp.com

Happy Travels!

Jakarta, Indonesia
4. Re: Guide recommendation

Hi, i need your help urgently. did anyone ever heard of this company www.silkroadcn.com ? i was about to use this company to arrange my upcoming trip. i taked to the staff on msn, he seems nice and very fast at getting back to me, but i was just wondering if the company is real? as it seems that their website is very new that some tabs shows no content when clicked. can anyone tell me if this agency is recommended? Thank you!

Saskatchewan, Canada
Destination Expert
for Pakistan
5. Re: Guide recommendation

Hi, sorry i don't have any information about this agency. But there are well known tour operators for Urumqi working since 20 years. Don't know which part of Xinjiang you want to travel?

Anyways, i will recommend you this company being using for last many years when i traveled to China, very dedicative and professional team network.

Xinjiang Silk Road Adventure Co., Ltd.

Address: 10th floor No. 8 JianShe Road Urumqi China.

Tel: 0086-2308318, 2846861

web: www.silkroute.cn

Hope it helps,

HT

Edited: 1:41 am, June 12, 2011
6. Re: Guide recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:52 am, May 21, 2012
Edited: 6:52 am, May 21, 2012
kashgar
reviews: 1
7. Re: Guide recommendation

Hi there,

Abdul Wahab Tours( abdulwahabtours.com) are more reliable and trustwerthy. His name is mentioned in Lonelyplanet Guide book as well. www.silkroadinn.com

Edited: 1:26 am, December 02, 2011
Dallas, Oregon
reviews: 15
8. Re: Guide recommendation

My family & I traveled around Xinjiang in September 2011 with the Abdul Wahab Tours (www.silkroadinn.com) & were not disappointed. This family-run business is owned by a local Uighur man who hires his family as tour guides. They are very knowledgeable about the area, can speak the local dialects, Chinese Mandarin, & other international languages. The nice thing too is that their tours can be custom made to follow a more off-the-tourist-trail, if that is what you like. They are also very flexible & will work with you when it comes to changing your mind during the planned trip. They also will not force you to go to shops or businesses to gather a commission.

They are a little more pricey compared to the other tour agencies run by Han Chinese guides, but definitely worth it because of their connection with the local people. We had a fabulous time & highly recommend Abdul Wahab Tours! If we had the chance to return to the Xinjiang, we would work with them again.

kashgar
reviews: 1
9. Re: Guide recommendation

Hi there,

Thanks for all. Abdul Wahab will keep his good reputation among the travellers as long as he can.

10. Re: Guide recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:27 am, September 17, 2012