We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

long layover and leaving the airport

Which Chengdu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
long layover and leaving the airport

Hey guys.

I've bought a sales ticket from Melbourne to xi'an via chengdu. However the layover time between flying to xi'an is a miserable 9hrs.

Am I aloud to leave the airport and catch a bus into town or am I stuck inside the airport?

I've booked this all on one ticket.

Any advice would be great.

beijing
reviews: 5
11. Re: long layover and leaving the airport

I had assumed the OP was taking the nonstop on Sichuan from MEL to CTU and continuing on with same airline on their afternoon flight CTU-XIY. I can't recall where I heard the information previously--but definitely had the impression that there were no provisions to through-check at CTU on an intl-domestic sequence and bags had to be collected and both Immigration and Customs dealt with at CTU. It would be great if this was in fact wrong, and one could have the bags sent to one's final destination and deal with Customs there....presuming the destination had Customs facilities available. (XIY does)

Like Sakya, I've also done CZ intl + domestic sequences through CAN and not had to deal with bags and Customs until final destination---they usually handle this at the final destination by handling the intl-originating and the domestic segment passengers separately with the former being funneled to the intl arrivals hall and the latter going to the domestic. CTU didn't have this ability.....however, they have just opened a new terminal this summer, and possibly have amended their procedures on this.

Edited: 5:28 pm, September 10, 2013
12. Re: long layover and leaving the airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, September 12, 2014