We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Earthquake

Which Chengdu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth
Earthquake

Just heard the terrible news about the earthquake and landslide, was it at Lesham and did affect Chengdu, I do hope not too many people are affected. I believe the last one was in 2008.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Beijing
reviews: 82
1. Re: Earthquake

It was Lushan, over 100 dead.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
reviews: 3
2. Re: Earthquake

Chengdu, Leshan, Emeishan, Jiuzhaigou are not really effected.

3. Re: Earthquake

Im flying into Chengdu today. Is it still safe to visit Chengdu?

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Beijing
reviews: 82
4. Re: Earthquake

As safe as anywhere else in China.

Chengdu
5. Re: Earthquake

Chengdu feels the effects of earthquakes but the city does not sit on one of the regions fault lines so by the time the shockwaves arrive then they are comparatively smaller in magnitude. In terms of violence they are comparable with a ride on a Chengdu bus - uncomfortable, frightening but not excessively dangerous (the earthquake that is). You would stand a better chance of getting killed by a tile bursting off a wall during an earthquake in the city than the likelihood of a building collapsing on you. However, since the energy of an earthquake is transmitted downwards on a swaying tower block then you would expect to see missing tiles on the ground floor and that didn’t happen this time round.

The nearest thing to a problem in our apartment was water sloshing out of the fish tank - a lot less than in the 2008 earthquake. In 2008 we had a very few hairline plaster cracks appear. Most of the city has been built to standards that greatly exceed those buildings commonly found in rural areas where they are commonly home built jobs and seemingly not subject to any rigorous building regulations at the time they were built. So, when you arrive, you would be wiser to worry more about the possibility of getting killed by an aggressive driver while you are navigating a pedestrian crossing than by getting felled by an earthquake in the city.

As far as the overall impact on the city is concerned – they closed the airport for a few hours and they have closed an expressway to all except relief workers heading out to the earthquake zone and ambulances returning with victims that cannot be accommodated in local hospitals so perhaps casualty departments will be busier than normal.

Kuala Lumpur...
6. Re: Earthquake

Any idea about the condition of roads/ public transports to places like Jiuzhaigou, Emei and Leshan? Is it still safe to travel by train or long distance bus?

Perth
7. Re: Earthquake

Chengdu_lao_wai - love your sense of humour.

Chengdu
8. Re: Earthquake

I wouldn't anticipate any problems to transport unless it is affected by road closures. You are going to have those near the epicentre where half a mountain needs removing out of the road but that wont be an issue for you unless you are engaged in relief work. The expressway headed south still appears to be restricted to relief workers only (I have just checked and I can see that the traffic cones are still in place) but the buses that were using this road will be using slower alternative routes to areas not badly affected by the earthquake such as Leshan and Mt Emei. Jiuzhaigou is not in the same neck of the woods so no problems. If you have travel agents then they will be fully aware of any restrictions, if any, that might exist - I am just a resident, not a travel agent.

Xi'an, China
reviews: 3
9. Re: Earthquake

has the panda research centre been affected or closed at all?

Chengdu
10. Re: Earthquake

Neither the Panda Research Centre, just on the outskirts of Chengdu, or the city itself have been affected by the earthquake as they are probably about 140 km from the epicentre. Even the expressway that was reserved for emergency relief workers heading to and from Chengdu appears to have been reopened for normal use.

Any problems that still exist will be located in the mountains where there is the potential of landslides having blocked roads. To the best of my belief Leshan, Mt. Emei and Dujianyan were not affected. The prospect of new landslides creating problems in the mountains are diminishing and I have felt no obvious aftershocks for a few days now. However, as the summer progresses, heavy rain could trigger the odd one or two so it is always worthwhile checking before setting out through mountainous regions.