We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long does it take to get to the Chendug Panda Center?

Which Chengdu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, Florida
How long does it take to get to the Chendug Panda Center?

My train arrives at Chengdu at 8:13 and departs to Guilin at 15:13, Do I have enough time to go to the Chendug Panda Center and back on time for my departure? Do I need to stay overnignt at Chendug? and lastly, what is the best way to get to the Center?

Thank you for any advise.

Chengdu, China
1. Re: How long does it take to get to the Chendug Panda Center?

You have enough time to visit the Panda Base and come back to the train station for your train departing in the afternoon.Both the Chengdu North Railway Station and East Railway Station are connected with the city centre by subway.The cheapest and most reliable way to get to the centre is by subway.

beijing
reviews: 5
2. Re: How long does it take to get to the Chendug Panda Center?

I don't think #1's answer was completely clear. I'll take a stab at it. The subway system goes to the CITY center not the Panda Breeding Center!

Yes you have enough time, no you don't need to stay overnight. Assuming your train is on time at 08:13 into Chengdu (Main/North) station, exit and put your excess luggage in Left Luggage at the station. Keep your valuables with you in a daypack. I'd just take a taxi from the station out to the Panda Breeding Center--you'll be in the morning rush hour so allow about 30 minutes. You should arrive about 09:30. Head to the back pens where the feedings will be going on and you can see them at their most active. Then work your way back up front. 2.5 hours should be plenty for a visit. So around noon, grab a taxi from in front of the exit--there should be some waiting around or dropping new arrivals off, take back to the station and grab a bite to eat. By now it will be a little after 13:00. Get your stuff out of Left Luggage and head for the Line 1 subway stop nearby. Get on and transfer to Line 2 eastbound, get off at Chengdu East station and head inside (I assume you already have your ticket to Guilin). Should be there about 14:00 with plenty of time to stock up on snacks for the trip and wait until boarding is called.

This also gives you a little time cushion to play with in case your inbound morning train is late arriving in Chengdu. I think as long as the train arrives by 09:30, you can still visit the Center, keep an eye on the time, go faster through the grounds, and leave Panda Ctr by 12:30-ish, possibly forego lunch until you're at Chengdu East station.

Edited: 2:28 am, April 05, 2013
Miami, Florida
3. Re: How long does it take to get to the Chendug Panda Center?

This is Great news! and great advise, thank you..!

Any idea on how muxh a taxi from the train station to the Panda Center will cost? and how much do they charge you for the left Luggage?

beijing
4. Re: How long does it take to get to the Chendug Panda Center?

Metered taxi fare one way probably about RMB 35. Left Luggage shouldn't be more than a few kuai per bag. IIRC, entry ticket to Breeding Center is RMB 58, a relative bargain by Chinese standards.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
reviews: 3
5. Re: How long does it take to get to the Chendug Panda Center?

35 rmb if from middle of downtown,no more than half hr one way.

Chengdu
6. Re: How long does it take to get to the Chendug Panda Center?

When you arrive at the Panda Research Centre then take the small bus/train just inside the entrance and it will take you straight to the baby pandas. It's only a few RMB and it will save you a fairly long walk and the prospect of getting lost.

beijing
7. Re: How long does it take to get to the Chendug Panda Center?

#6 has a good idea to speed things up, and the Panda Nursery towards the back of the site is close walk to the Adult pens where the keepers put out the bamboo about 9 to 9:30-ish. On the walking paths back to the exit, make sure to stop in at the red panda enclosure, and the short little movie--on-a-loop in the small cinema is good, too.

Edited: 11:31 am, April 06, 2013
Kuala Lumpur...
8. Re: How long does it take to get to the Chendug Panda Center?

Is the Chengdu Panda Centre an alternative place to see the panda? What about the Wolong Nature reserve and the Bifengxia Panda base. Please advise which is the best site to visit the panda from Chengdu ?

beijing
9. Re: How long does it take to get to the Chendug Panda Center?

I wasn't aware that Wolong had been reopened to the public yet (it had to be completely reconstructed after the 2008 earthquake). It's quite a distance from Chengdu city. Bifengxia is possible and open, but really makes for too long a daytrip as it is near Ya'an city. Better to make that a 2-day/1 night side trip, and see some other things in the Ya'an area or between there and Chengdu. For most people, the Giant Panda Breeding Center on the outskirts of Chengdu remains the most convenient place to see the animals, and particularly if time is short.

Kuala Lumpur...
10. Re: How long does it take to get to the Chendug Panda Center?

Hello, I really appreciate your good advice and info. Thanks.