We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fruit price by half a kilo?

Which Chengdu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Asia
reviews: 60
Fruit price by half a kilo?

Does anyone notice?

In Chengdu & Chongqing, they sell fruit by weight but display the price in half a kilogram. I’m confusing to death why they came up with that practice.

So when I see the price 6.89 Yuan, I must x 2 to know 1 kilo costs 13.78 Yuan.

I laugh so hard thinking, why don’t they display the price of 3.65 Yuan for 378 grams, so that buyers can practice their math mind more?

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
reviews: 3
1. Re: Fruit price by half a kilo?

Traditional Chinese unit is Jin (斤) which is 500 grams. 1 kg is 2 Jin to us. Who sells things in KG will be strange in China.

new york
2. Re: Fruit price by half a kilo?

It certainly makes it easier for us Westerners to compare prices....the Jin is closer to our pound weight :)

Magog, Canada
reviews: 551
3. Re: Fruit price by half a kilo?

The thing is food is not sold by kilo but by "jin". A jin is about half a kilo so they put the price by half kilo to accomodate you. When I buy meat at my local supermarket I usually ask for one jin, not half kilo.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
reviews: 109
4. Re: Fruit price by half a kilo?

328gr simply does not represent an official unit of mass. Jin does. I would be more strange to use kg here...

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_units_of_measure…

I know many western people still using pounds. Unfortunately pounds are not the same weight in all countries. That might be one reason why kg became more official.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound_(mass)

Chengdu
5. Re: Fruit price by half a kilo?

Please feel free to check our Chengdu Fan Page on Facebook. You can get all the things you need to know Chengdu. www.facebook.com/yourchengdu

Asia
6. Re: Fruit price by half a kilo?

Thanks a lot for all your replies. Glad I asked here, or I would be forever laughing.

So now I know they sell by 斤. I misunderstood 1 斤 was 1 kilo.

You're right, cookie, that 328 gr "does not represent an official unit of mass". I made it up as I was feeling so amused.

Asia
7. Re: Fruit price by half a kilo?

Thanks JingyuanH for the link. I can't open facebook in China by the way.

8. Re: Fruit price by half a kilo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:41 am, June 19, 2013