We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi from Suzhou to Tongli

Which Suzhou hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dortmund, Germany
reviews: 42
Taxi from Suzhou to Tongli

Does anyone know how much costs a taxi for a day in Suzhou? We will arrive Suzhou railway station, take a taxi to Tongli, visit Tongli about 3 hours, take this taxi back to Suzhou, see 2 gardens and back to Suzhou railway station.

Thanks!

1. Re: Taxi from Suzhou to Tongli

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 pm, March 19, 2013
Pg
reviews: 65
2. Re: Taxi from Suzhou to Tongli

Can always take a taxi to the Bus Station and take a bus there. Much more cheaper.

Blueys Beach...
reviews: 180
3. Re: Taxi from Suzhou to Tongli

How much is a taxi from Suzhou to Tongli one way? How long is the trip and is the shuttle bus OK? We will be going to Suzhou from Shanghai by train, then to Tongli for overnight and back to Suzhou the next day for overnight.

beijing
reviews: 5
4. Re: Taxi from Suzhou to Tongli

Why would you have one taxi driver wait around for you in Tongli? Not only the extra cost, but you have to worry about timing and meeting up with him, etc. They have taxis in Tongli, too, when it's time to go back to Suzhou.

I taxied Suzhou to Tongli then took bus back. From the central part of old Suzhou to Tongli, taxi was a bit less than RMB 90 and took 45 minutes. Took a Tongli pedicab from main Old town gate to Tongli bus station for RMB 10 (10 minutes), then public bus was RMB 10 (IIRC) and took about an hour, ending up at Suzhou main bus station which is near the main train station. For me, this was a good balance of convenience and cost.

I recommend you change your plans around and do the Suzhou gardens first, then go to Tongli, then return to train station (via bus).

Blueys Beach...
5. Re: Taxi from Suzhou to Tongli

kv, I realise you are answering original question but thanks, I have my answer! 90 RMB for taxi to Tongli. We'll take a taxi there then another back the next day to Suzhou.

beijing
6. Re: Taxi from Suzhou to Tongli

Yes, sorry Marj, I was answering OP's question. A headslap for me, LOL. The taxi will drop you as close as he can to the Entry of Tongli Old Water town section, you'll have to walk about 5-ish minutes from the main road towards the ticket office (just before the old footbridge). And the pedicab + bus maneuver was on the return journey. Old Town area to Tongli bus station was a little too far for my tired feet so the pedicab was perfect. Bus to Suzhou main bus station was easy and deposits you within walking distance of the train station, useful for those returning to Shanghai after a daytrip. Takes a bit longer than the taxi though.

Edited: 2:40 pm, March 06, 2013
Blueys Beach...
7. Re: Taxi from Suzhou to Tongli

It's good to have the taxi price clarified. I misunderstood the answers to the OP and thought it was an awful lot to pay for a taxi from Suzhou to Tongli! Of course they were quoting a daily rate!

Do you know anything about the boat between Tongli and Zhouzhuang?

beijing
8. Re: Taxi from Suzhou to Tongli

By water Tongli <-> Zhouzhuang are about 10-12 km apart. I don't hear a lot about boating this route anymore though, and I think it was always a private arrangement with a boatman; I've never heard of any public boat, ferry, water taxi etc. plying this route. So you'll be facing the following uncertainties:

---where exactly you can get on and off the boat at each end. And how far this would be from lodging, entry gate to the old town area, and onward transport.

---how to find a boatman and negotiate a price, and what current price is.

---whether it's possible to transport luggage > than a daypack

---time (likely it's about 1-1.5 hour travel since you have to follow the waterway which isn't a straight line between the two towns).

--whether any new construction or development such as bridges, has now blocked the route for boats.

If you don't have Mandarin skills sufficient to allow you to find all this out and make arrangements yourself, I guess you'd have to turn to a tour agent. I'm not sure if tour agents would be willing or able to arrange the boat trip....or even if they are allowed by regulations to set you up with this form of transport on this route.

Blueys Beach...
9. Re: Taxi from Suzhou to Tongli

Thank you kv,

I found this on chinatravel.com

"Tongli Transportation

From Zhouzhuang to Tongli

There are two methods to get from Zhouzhuang to Tongli: by bus or by boat.

By Bus:

At the western end of Zhouzhuang, there are small buses going to Tongli which involve a journey of about ½ hour. You can also take a minibus from Zhouzhuang to Tongli, which will cost you 40 Yuan per person per direction. The journey takes about 20 minutes. You can also rent a moped (small motorcycle), which will set you back between 15-25 Yuan, depending on the model of moped (the older the cheaper).

By Boat:

The price for renting a boat w/boatman is 30 Yuan per person per direction.

NB! To avoid eventual disappointments, always ask the boatman to show you his boat before you make your decision/ arrive at a price."

It doesn't say how long it takes and we will be there on a Sunday. We will be going from Shanghai to Tongli and spending the night in Tongli. Then going to Suzhou the next morning to spend the day seeing the gardens.

I guess by the time we arrive in Tongli there will be enough to keep us occupied for the rest of the day? I had considered leaving our bags at our hotel and taking a private boat to Zhouzhuang to see the preserved ancient houses then returning to Tongli for the evening. We can make a decision when we get there depending on how much time we have. Time gets away from me when I'm wandering through these historic towns and I think by then we'll be looking for some relaxation!

10. Re: Taxi from Suzhou to Tongli

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 09, 2014