We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shanghai to Harbin,Air or train?

Which Harbin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 37
Shanghai to Harbin,Air or train?

I would like to go to Harbin in early feb. in a 3week China trip,What would be best for a itinerary, want to see Shanghai,Beijing, Terrecota soldiers ,a Panda ,the Great wall,Harbin ice festival & finish with a few days in Hong Kong.I fly into Shanghai to begin, would it be best to then fly to Harbin or Beijing then to Harbin?

South Pole
reviews: 27
1. Re: Shanghai to Harbin,Air or train?

We travelled from Harbin to Shenyang by train in February 2010, and then separately on another day to Beijing. The first train took about four hours and the second was 4 or 5 hrs from memory. It is possible to buy a ticket on a through train if you do it in one go. I understand that the new high-speed trains betwen Beijing and Shanghai take ~5 hrs. China is a big country.

You can see Pandas in a zoo, otherwise it means a trip to Chengdu.

Guilin
2. Re: Shanghai to Harbin,Air or train?

There is only one through train from Shanghai to Harbin and it takes a long way for nearly 32 hours. Anyway, flight is advised for this long journey. Visit order from Shanghai-Harbin-Beijing-Xian-Chengdu (giant panda) -Hong Kong is recommended.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
reviews: 3
3. Re: Shanghai to Harbin,Air or train?

Better air. Train costs too much time.

Magog, Canada
reviews: 609
4. Re: Shanghai to Harbin,Air or train?

For flights check on ctrip.com. This will give you an idea of rates and also of flight frequencies. I would guess that if you go through Beijing you then get more options. Note that you do not need to buy too far ahead of time on the routes with a lot of flights.

In any case, if you lay around on this website for a while you can build the optimal itinerary.

Saudi Arabia
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
reviews: 21
5. Re: Shanghai to Harbin,Air or train?

Unless you have lots of time I would fly.

6. Re: Shanghai to Harbin,Air or train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, October 27, 2012