We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

High Speed Rail Shenzhen - Beijing

Which Shenzhen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ocala, Florida
reviews: 1
High Speed Rail Shenzhen - Beijing

Since there is no high speed rail service to Shanghai from Shenzhen I am looking toward the high speed train to Beijing. Looks like about a 10 to 11 hour trip, 1,490 miles or so. Has anyone made this trip and was it comfortable?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Macau
reviews: 204
1. Re: High Speed Rail Shenzhen - Beijing

I've only used this line for the GZ to Wuhan leg which opened earlier than the rest. The G-trains are superbly comfortable, putting most European trains to shame.Lots more leg room than an Airbus. Normally quite punctual, my last trip was delayed for nearly an hour by snow on the tracks near Changsha. Meals seem to be quite adequate, if a little pricey. Even though you are travelling at speed you can see a lot out the window.

I'm not sure that I could handle 10 hours but it beats sitting in an airport waiting for a delayed flight!

Ocala, Florida
2. Re: High Speed Rail Shenzhen - Beijing

You're right, I am not so sure my wife could handle over 10 hours on a train high speed or not. But, can you imagine, it's nearly 1500 miles and the train makes about 8 stops enroute. It must be averaging nearly 200 miles per hour to make that trip in a little over 10 hours. I rode the Shinkenzin bullet train from Tokyo to Kyoto a few years back. Believe that train averaged about 140 miles per hour and It felt like it was flying. Can't imagine what you can see at 200 MPH.

Magog, Canada
reviews: 607
3. Re: High Speed Rail Shenzhen - Beijing

Most of these high speed trains (G trains) ride at speeds in excess of 300km per hour. They were supposed to be faster but the speed was reduced for security reasons.

These are really good trains, spacious and clean. You can obviously walk around. They are supposed to offer wifi but it did not work the last time that I took a G train.

Bangalore
reviews: 31
4. Re: High Speed Rail Shenzhen - Beijing

Does the high speed train have only seating or sleeper too? Though its a day journey from shenzhen to beijing, i prefer a sleeper for my kid.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Beijing
reviews: 82
5. Re: High Speed Rail Shenzhen - Beijing

No sleeper on this G train.

@JP I heard the speed was reduced for safety reasons because corrupt contractors failed to deliver infrastructure to the standards expected.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
reviews: 50
6. Re: High Speed Rail Shenzhen - Beijing

If corrupt contractors are what it takes to build such world class trains in massive scale, then we need many of them here in California, after 17 years, billions of $ and nonstop lawsuits, they have not laid one track yet.

Shenzhen, China
reviews: 9
7. Re: High Speed Rail Shenzhen - Beijing

There is a G72 from Shenzhen North Station to Beijing West Railway Station, running 10 hours 25 minutes (07:56 18:21) , the G trains are much comfortable than ordinary trains. There are three kinds of tickets: First-class seats(¥1479.5), Second-class seats(¥936.5), Business seats(¥2923.5)

USA
8. Re: High Speed Rail Shenzhen - Beijing

@macbcmini, NIMBY is another obstacle in the states, whereas in China, not so much...

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
reviews: 50
9. Re: High Speed Rail Shenzhen - Beijing

You are right, if they want to build a high speed track close to my home, NIMBY, Not In My Back Yard, I'll sue to stop it. When Shakespeare tried to build a high speed rail, he said ''The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers,''

London, England...
10. Re: High Speed Rail Shenzhen - Beijing

Here is a list of top 10 fastest trains in the world and Shanghai Maglev tops the list of wordl's fastest train: railway-technology.com/features/…