We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Australis cruises in Oct/Nov: which ship and month?

Which Punta Arenas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
murphyterrier
Australis cruises in Oct/Nov: which ship and month?

We are planning on doing a 4 night Australis cruise this fall and I'm trying to decide between the October 29 low-season cruise on Stella Australis vs. high-season Via Australis cruise on Nov. 8. We could also do high-season Stella Australis cruise on Nov. 5. The cabin size seems better on Stella Australis and bigger windows in cabins and deck spaces but there are more people; the Via Australis 11/8 has smaller cabins but fewer people. Any preferences? Any suggestions re late October weather vs. early-mid Nov. would be most appreciated. We'll be going to Explora Patagonia just before the Australis cruise so the weather (Oct vs. Nov.) matters for that too. Thanks.

Jan H

santiago
1. Re: Australis cruises in Oct/Nov: which ship and month?

the weather is practically the same in that period

Bristol, United...
reviews: 2
2. Re: Australis cruises in Oct/Nov: which ship and month?

Hi Jan,

I'm going on the Cruceros Australis cruise on 8th Oct! Can't wait.

Patagonia's summer runs from Nov-Mar, and Dec and Jan are generally the best months, although Patagonia is notoriously unpredictable, so it's a bit of a gamble. I think you have 2 things to weigh up here, it's a bit cheaper to go at the end of Oct in the low season rather than in Nov, if that's important to you, go for Oct. If you don't mind, then maybe go in Nov, when the weather might be a little bit better but there probably won't be too much difference except the wind might be picking up (Patagonia is windy during the summer).

Re the ship, I'm going on the Stella Australis which is the bigger and newer of the two. From what I've seen I think you possibly get a bigger window on the Stella Australis but they both look like lovely ships, with nice interiors, good food, interesting lectures about Darwin etc and chances to disembark (which is the most important thing for me).

It's the same for the Explora Patagonia really, you might get a bit sunnier weather in November but I don't think there'll be too much difference.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Charlite

Santa Monica...
3. Re: Australis cruises in Oct/Nov: which ship and month?

I'm planning to go on the Stella on Nov 5. I keep reading that the weather may be windy and cold but what about rough seas? Seasickness? It's a smaller ship compared to big major cruise ships which is a good thing. But it's seas I'm worried about.

Bristol, United...
reviews: 2
4. Re: Australis cruises in Oct/Nov: which ship and month?

Hi,

I've just got off the cruise today! It was fantastic. The weather is so variable, some days we had sun and wind, other days rain and wind, so make sure you bring warm gear.

Re rough seas, we didn't have any huge problems, a bit for 1.5 hours on 2nd night at 2 in the morning, then quite a bit of swaying on the 3rd night and in the day whilst we were at Cape Horn. Although they did say we were lucky with the weather, it was quite calm and sometimes it can be rough there. However, I took sea sickness tablets and was fine, if you need them the ship will also provide them.

It won't be rough the whole time but if you come into some bad weather as you round cape horn then there might be a lot of movement on the fourth day.

Thanks,

Charlie

Santa Monica...
5. Re: Australis cruises in Oct/Nov: which ship and month?

Thank you for your comments? How did you like the ship?

6. Re: Australis cruises in Oct/Nov: which ship and month?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, October 15, 2012