We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Torres del Paine W Trek... Mid June or Late August???

Which Puerto Natales hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sudbury, Canada
Torres del Paine W Trek... Mid June or Late August???

Hello!

So I've committed to doing the W trek in Torres del Paine on my upcoming trip to South America. I'm from Canada and have winter trekking experience.

However, I'm not sure if I should start with the trek in mid June at the beginning of my trip or if I should do it at the end of my trip in mid August. Does anyone know which time of year would have preferable weather?

Also, would camping supplies stores in Puerto Natales be open at this time of year? I wouldn't mind renting some of the equipment so that I don't have to lug it around with me afterwards.

This is one of my wildest dreams so any information is extremely appreciated! The more info the better.

Thanks so much!

-Sam

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
reviews: 22
1. Re: Torres del Paine W Trek... Mid June or Late August???

You will have a bit more daylight hours in mid-August., an important factor The weather should not be that different between the two. It will be very cold at night, so you are going to need good gear if you want to camp. There are plenty of places which rent gear in Puerto Natales, quality varies. Maybe try Erratic Rock as they can also be helpful with information on current conditions in the park.

Sudbury, Canada
2. Re: Torres del Paine W Trek... Mid June or Late August???

Thank you Dancingmolly!

I've camped in -20 degrees celcius here in Canada so I feel prepared. The biggest issue is that I wouldn't want to lug all my winter stuff around S.A. before Torres Del Paine. So it's good to know that I can rent and purchase in Puerto Natales, even in August (specifically a -20 sleeping bag, goretex snow pants, mitts, and a couple extra layers). I'll try to contact Erratic Rock to see if they're open year round.

I was wondering if you know if the Puerto Merino Glacier and Fitz Roy day treks are doable that time of year? And if snowshoe rentals are a thing in the area.

Thanks again for your help! Truly appreciated :)

-Sam

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
reviews: 22
3. Re: Torres del Paine W Trek... Mid June or Late August???

Get hold of Erratic Rock. They rent equipment and are around all year. Find out if they have all the gear you need.

I don't know anything about the Argentine side. Do a search on the Argentine forum or post there. Someone should know.

Sudbury, Canada
4. Re: Torres del Paine W Trek... Mid June or Late August???

Thank you! Just sent an email to Erratic Rock :)

5. Re: Torres del Paine W Trek... Mid June or Late August???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 08, 2015