We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trek to TDP

Which Puerto Natales hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
104 posts
72 reviews
Day Trek to TDP

Hi, my family and I (4) are thinking of staying in Puerto Natales for 3 nights as a base for Torres del Paine. I was wondering if anyone has done with a tour company a day trek to The Towers. I thought it might be more economical to stay in Puerto than actually in TDP. I also wouldn't mind on another day doing a bus tour of the drive and out to TDP with scenery stops along the way. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Level Contributor
271 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Day Trek to TDP

My experience is back 3 years ago now, and we had a hire car, but be aware that it is about 80km from Puerto Natales to the centre of the park and the roads within the park and at least one of the access roads (in 2010) were unpaved. This means that travel is much slower than on surfaced roads and I think if you were using PN as a base you would be spending perhaps 4 hours + of each day travelling (2 hrs in, 2 hrs out) and then there is travelling within the park. My feeling would be to stay in or on the edge of the Park if you possibly can and we stayed at one of the hotels in the Rio Serrano 'tourist village' at the southern entrance to the park - and even from here it was a 1hr + drive or so to the locations for hiking to the Towers (allowing for photos etc on the way). However, others may have experience of using tour companies from PN - and certainly a lot of people do use PN as a base.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
27 posts
68 reviews
2. Re: Day Trek to TDP

Puerto Natales is quite far from TDP, and you end up wasting a lot of time driving to and from the park. Have you considered staying just outside the park, around Laguna Amarga, if you want to do the Towers?

3. Re: Day Trek to TDP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, March 02, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Natales