We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Windiest, wettest months in Torres del Paine?

Which Puerto Natales hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chapel Hill, North...
reviews: 14
Windiest, wettest months in Torres del Paine?

There seems to be universal agreement that December thru February are the warmest (least cold) months in Torres del Paine, but the reviews are mixed regarding which months tend to have higher winds and which months are more prone to rainfall. I realize that the weather there is very changeable, but -- for the purposes of my trip planning -- can anyone tell me which months trend toward being windier and wetter? A warmer, windier, wetter day in January might be less pleasant than a cooler, less windy, drier day in October.

Thank you for any perspective that folks with experience at Torres del Paine might be able to provide.

7 replies to this topic
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
reviews: 20
1. Re: Windiest, wettest months in Torres del Paine?

The least wind is in winter but that is when there is the most rain/snowfall, some trails and most of the refugios are closed, fewer hours of daylight. In summer there is less rainfall and more wind and very long days. You can, however, have snow, wind, rain and a sunny day all within 24 hours in Torres del Paine (plus mosquitos if it gets very hot). Mid-November (once the refugios all reopen) and December are good months. January and February, aside from the wind, are likely to have the warmest, driest weather. But there are no guarantees in Patagonia.

Singapore
reviews: 112
2. Re: Windiest, wettest months in Torres del Paine?

I went in mid-November and did indeed experience wind, rain and snow all in one day. We were already hiking or I would have quit at that point as my shoes got completely soaked thro... I have heard April may be the least windy month but again that is anecdotal. Still amazingly beautiful though!

Chapel Hill, North...
3. Re: Windiest, wettest months in Torres del Paine?

Thank you for taking the time to reply, dancingmolly. This is exactly the type of perspective I was hoping to get!

Since you're a Chile destination expert, might I bother you with one more question? We'll also be taking the Australis cruise from Punta Arenas thru the Beagle Channel to Ushuaia, with the leg out to Cape Horn. Again, recognizing that weather can be fickle any time of year, are there any particular months (based on gross climactic averages) when winds might tend to be lower, when rainfall might tend to be lower, and seas to Cape Horn might be more prone to be calmer? Or is it always just an equally uncertain roll of the dice, regardless of when you go.

Thank you again.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
reviews: 20
4. Re: Windiest, wettest months in Torres del Paine?

I think it is a roll of the dice. But, if I were taking it myself, I would probably go early January. I have a friend on that cruise now and she sends back photos of blue skies and calm seas. Thus are we lured by the experience of others!

Edited: 1:56 pm, January 08, 2014
Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 64
5. Re: Windiest, wettest months in Torres del Paine?

I was in TDP in mid-August 2011 (winter) and there was hardly any wind. I was lucky to have clear weather during the full length of my stay of 5 days and 4 nights. I returned in late-October (late spring) the following year, and the wind definitely was stronger. Weather was less kind as well, as one of the days was completely rained out. It snowed for about 2 days as well. So, as you can see, weather in TDP is unpredictable at best.

Summer is definitely the windiest though. My friends told me stories of tents getting blown off the campsites, and struggling to walk.

Chapel Hill, North...
6. Re: Windiest, wettest months in Torres del Paine?

We have now made our trip to Torres del Paine (January 2014), and can confirm everyone's observation: The weather there is a roll of the dice. The massif looked sunny and clear as we approached it by bus. By the time we arrived (late afternoon), it was overcast with rain clouds around the Los Cuernos peaks; while hiking, we got hit by wind-blown sleet that almost blew us sideways. But that lasted less than half an hour, then it returned to being just overcast. On the next day, it was much less windy with high overcast; one could see the tops of all the peaks. Maybe if we had stayed another day, we would have seen sunny blue skies -- who knows?

Chicago
reviews: 47
7. Re: Windiest, wettest months in Torres del Paine?

Just got back and spent 5 days in the park last week, no rain, no snow and no wind, just sunshine and a couple of clouds. It did get cold on two nights.

Reply to: Windiest, wettest months in Torres del Paine?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted