We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Animals normally seen on a day trip to TDP

Which Puerto Natales hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
usa
reviews: 8
Animals normally seen on a day trip to TDP

I know there is no 100% guarantee, but which animals/birds will I most likely be able to see on a day trip to TDP from Puerto Natales on a tour? Vicunas/Llamas? Any other not generally seen in N. America?

10 replies to this topic
Munich
reviews: 3
1. Re: Animals normally seen on a day trip to TDP

We always saw Guanacos and CaraCara (a bird)

Beate

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 100
2. Re: Animals normally seen on a day trip to TDP

yesterday we saw Guacanos, Nandu (like ostrich), both are quite plenty. Also some condors, a fox and an eagle.

usa
3. Re: Animals normally seen on a day trip to TDP

Wow! Cool! That's nice to know. Thanks ReiseBeate, raras2u!

usa
4. Re: Animals normally seen on a day trip to TDP

On a related note: are the namesake "towers" visible from any of the points visited by a day tour? If so, from where?

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 100
5. Re: Animals normally seen on a day trip to TDP

unfortunately no. We are supposed to see the famous towers from one of the lake, I think Lake Nodernskold, but the weather was very windy and cloudy, plus the rain.. i am a bit disappointed but nothing much we can do.. only saw part of the mountain and the horn..

usa
6. Re: Animals normally seen on a day trip to TDP

That's sad :-(

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 64
7. Re: Animals normally seen on a day trip to TDP

You can get a view of the Towers from Lake Amarga, which is on the Eastern end of the park.

You will always see guanacos. You might see condors, and some other birds. If you are lucky, you may even see a puma!

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
reviews: 408
8. Re: Animals normally seen on a day trip to TDP

Look out for the Huemul - the south Andean deer which is an endangered species. When we entered El Chalten in Argentina to visit Mount Fitzroy when we entered the town we were taken into the Visitor Centre and told by a ranger that if we saw a huemul we were to note the position, photograph it and let the rangers know. According to wikipedia there are only between 350 and 600 left. See - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Andean_deer

After this I was at TdP and I saw one. I managed to take 4or 5 close up pictures. It was not far away and it turned round to look at me. Our guide could not believe it but he confirmed it was a huemul when he saw the pictures. I would post them but I do not have them with me.

Mendoza, Argentina
9. Re: Animals normally seen on a day trip to TDP

Good chance of seeing the huge Andean woodpecker, black with a lot of red plumage on the head of the male. In the wooded areas, stop occasionally and listen for the knocking, and then walk up slowly and look for it.

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
reviews: 408
10. Re: Animals normally seen on a day trip to TDP

You are right to suggest people look out for them - they are magnificent. We saw a number of them on our walk up to Mount Fitzroy viewing points from El Chalten

Reply to: Animals normally seen on a day trip to TDP
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted