We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from Puerto Natales northwards

Which Puerto Natales hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
York, United Kingdom
reviews: 5
Traveling from Puerto Natales northwards

Hey all,

I am trying to figure out the cheapest way back north from Puerto Natales. I will have travelled to Puerto Natales from Puerto Montt with Navimag, but was hoping not to travel back that way as for a backpacker things are going to start getting expensive! I was wondering if anybody new of a cheaper way to get back to Puerto Montt or back to Santiago. I have tried looking for a bus company but can't seem to find anything, I will be travelling mid March.

Many thanks,

Katie

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
reviews: 20
1. Re: Traveling from Puerto Natales northwards

Buses Cruz del Sur has a bus from Punta Arenas all the way to Santiago (3X a week) which goes into Argentina and back into Chile. You would want to check the days it goes as things change.

You could do various combinations of the route: fly Puerto Natales or Punta Arenas to Puerto Montt and then bus north from there. Bus as far as Puerto Montt, spend a few days in the lakes and bus from there to Santiago.

The bus from Punta Arenas to Puerto Montt is a long 30 hours and will probably cost in the region of US$150. So you need to weigh time/comfort vs cost.

http://www.busescruzdelsur.cl

Edited: 9:09 am, November 20, 2012
Pto Montt
reviews: 2
2. Re: Traveling from Puerto Natales northwards

HI Mid MArch is begining of low season, on the carretera 40 there are many buses that go north ,even the chilean big lorries that use the ruta 40 in argentina they usually drive from punta arenas or coiyaique, up to BAriloche or Pto Montt this is on the argie side, the road 40. so you can ask for a lift if you are with someone else, and if you speak some spanish. I also got some info for the w trek in paine it costs about 670 u$. . CheerS.MA

3. Re: Traveling from Puerto Natales northwards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, December 16, 2013