We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly to Antofagasta direct from Peru instead of Santiago?

Which Antofagasta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Fly to Antofagasta direct from Peru instead of Santiago?

I am checking out flights to Antofagasta. I am US citizen, in past I have flown from:

Houston USA, Continental air to Panama City

Panama City, Copa Airlines to Santiago

Santiago, SkyAir or LANair to Antofagasta

This flight is good except I had to buy the domestic Chile flight separately.

Now I am checking flight that is purchased as one set from multiple airlines:

Houston USA, Continental air to San Jose Costa Rica

San Jose, LACSA to Lima Peru

Lima, TRANS AMERICAN AIRLINES - TACA PERU to Antofagasta

I am surprised they have international flight directly to Antofagasta as it such a small airport. Is Chile immigration located in Antofagasta or do they have remote immigration office in Lima? (as odd as that sounds I have seen this type of remote immigration before)

Anyone have experience with this proposed flight plan, please let me know if you had good/bad experiences. Perhaps also a suggestion on amount of time required at each stop in case Lima or San Jose are troublesome places to connect.

Thanks,

Jack

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
reviews: 20
1. Re: Fly to Antofagasta direct from Peru instead of Santiago?

There are flights from Lima to Antofagasta and, since that would be your entry point into Chile, you would go through immigration there. I believe SKY also flies Lima to Antofagasta.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
2. Re: Fly to Antofagasta direct from Peru instead of Santiago?

Jorge Chavez Airport in Lima is regarded as the best in Latin America.

3. Re: Fly to Antofagasta direct from Peru instead of Santiago?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 am, October 05, 2012