We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from antofagasta

Which Antofagasta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 41
Bus from antofagasta

Can anyone help? Due to the Peruvian strikes closing the border with Bolivia we are going to go to Bolivia via chile. We have booked a flight into Antofagasta with the plan of staying one night then busing to San pedro de atacama. We have now discovered there is a fair on in Antofagasta and all hotel rooms are already booked up! We land at 1730 so are hoping to get a bus that evening to calama/SPDA

Does anyone know if the bus station is anywhere near the airport? And is this

easy? Safe?

Any help/advice is much appreciated as we don't even have a guidebook fir this area!

Thanks

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
reviews: 22
1. Re: Bus from antofagasta

Where are you flying to Antofagasta from? If you are in another part of Chile you should buy your bus ticket to Calama or SPA in one of the Turbus offices around the country. When you get to Antofagasta airport, take a transfer minivan or taxi to the bus station (rodoviario). There is a new bus station on the north side of the city, the same side as the airport. Just check that the bus would be leaving from the main bus station. Turbus has its own bus station in some places and I am not sure about Anto, but I know they have a place in the main bus station. As for the departure times, there are frequent buses to Claama with varying levels of service. Try to get semi-cama or salon cama.

The bus station in Antofagasta is not in a particularly nice part of town. It is an industrial area. So if you can have your ticket booked before you arrive, that would be best.

London, united...
reviews: 26
2. Re: Bus from antofagasta

I can confirm that there are certainly Turbus buses to San Pedro from the new bus station (on Av Pedro Aguirre Cerda with calle Paihuano) in Antofagasta. As mentioned the bus station is roughly in the northern half of the city: maybe best to taxi from the airport. It's well set up with cafes and facilities and seemed very secure. In my opinion it's much better than the old set up of individual bus company terminals spread across different city blocks.

London
reviews: 2
3. Re: Bus from antofagasta

Hi,

I am in Peru and planning my route into Chile. I'm a little short on time somay fly to Antofagasta and so would then also be looking to take a bus to San Pedro. I'm a little confused from this thread though whether the buses go all the way to SP or only to Calama as there was mention here of buying a ticket to Calama?

Thanks.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
reviews: 7
4. Re: Bus from antofagasta

The buses go to San Pedro de Atacama.

London
5. Re: Bus from antofagasta

Thanks!

London
6. Re: Bus from antofagasta

I have just looked at booking a bus ticket from Antofagasta to San Pedro online with Tur Bus and from what I can gather there are two possible departure points and you have to choose which one. One is the main terminal Rodoviario, which I gather is 15 mins from town, and the other, 15 mins later, is listed as Antofagasta-Arauco. Does anyone have any idea where this is? I have done a lot of searching but had no joy. Something led me to believe it might be on Calle Paraguay, but I don't know if that's right and can't find it anyway!

Thanks

London, United...
7. Re: Bus from antofagasta

hi lindesay1,

i have the same issue than you!

did you manage to find which bus terminal is the best departure point at antofagasta? rodoviario or arauco?

thank you for your help!

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
reviews: 22
8. Re: Bus from antofagasta

You want the Turbus terminal in Antofagasta. The bus will then stop for passengers at the Arauco plant and the crossing at Baquedano, but you want the initial terminal. Other bus lines will leave from their own terminal or the general bus station, Rodoviario, in Antofagasta. Check where your bus leaves from.

Buses will often make a couple of stops on the outskirts of cities which are more convenient for passengers from those areas. They are scheduled stops.

www.chilebuses.cl/index.php/terminalii.do

Edited: 2:27 pm, September 23, 2012
London
9. Re: Bus from antofagasta

Yep, just to confirm what dancingmolly said, best to go for the Rodivario terminal. Enjoy!

Evans Head...
10. Re: Bus from antofagasta

I will also be arriving by plane in Antofagasta on March5 or 6 2013 and needing bus to SPA on6th or 7th. Any updates as to which bus stop to go and where to stay in town( the night before) which is close to said bus stop.

Many Thanks