We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping my tuk tuk driver

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide
Tipping my tuk tuk driver

For the past week I have had a tuk tuk driver assigned to me by my hotel. It is included in my room tariff. I want to give him a nice tip as he has been very helpful and I suspect he is not paid much. How much per day would be a good tip. I know it is ultimately aquestion of how much I am able to afford and prepared to pay - but I really have no idea of where to start....

12 replies to this topic
Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
reviews: 76
1. Re: Tipping my tuk tuk driver

For one week? How far did he take you? If just around town and the normal tourist sites I would say Between US$10~$20 (your discretion) would be a decent tip, IMO.

Edited: 8:01 am, July 11, 2014
Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 32
2. Re: Tipping my tuk tuk driver

I would say $3 - $5 a day depending on where your enthusiasm lies on the scale between those two numbers. I guess that kind of comes out where Maneki is suggesting although if it was a full week and you really appreciate your driver then $30 - $35 might be more in order. You wouldn't believe (maybe you would actually after a week) the amazing difference that kind of money makes to someone there. IMO :)

birmingham
reviews: 15
3. Re: Tipping my tuk tuk driver

Give him $30.... If he has been there when you needed him it seems fair.

Woodend, Australia
reviews: 11
4. Re: Tipping my tuk tuk driver

We had a driver from the hotel too and at the end of each day gave him $5.

Cannes, France
reviews: 161
5. Re: Tipping my tuk tuk driver

Appropriate answers. We had a similar situation and I think for 5/6 days, if he has been good, 25-30 USD at the end will be appreciated.

Ravenna, Italy
reviews: 38
6. Re: Tipping my tuk tuk driver

I just booked a 3 days tour to Angkor Wat for 2 people. I received from the tour company the "Cambodia travel tips and information" and this paper states. "Guides typically receive $5-$15 per person, per day, while drivers typically receive $2-$3 per person, per day". In my opinion is a huge amount of money, according to this information, for 3 days I should tip about 60 $ the guide and 15 $ the driver.

What do you think ? Is it overpriced ?

Perth, Australia
reviews: 104
7. Re: Tipping my tuk tuk driver

Sorry I can't comment about the tour guides. About the tuk tuk driver, a tip of $15 to $20 for three days for his services on top of the cost of being at your disposal during that time, would seem very fair. Like everything relating to tipping, of course it depends entirely on how well the driver has looked after you and what you feel his services were worth.

Having said that, you haven't mentioned how much per day you were expecting to pay apart from the tip.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
8. Re: Tipping my tuk tuk driver

#6 Tipping is at your discretion. If you are completely satisfied with their services, it is always nice to offer a tip. I have friends who are guides and drivers and they say they are always happy to get the Americans, because they tip generously. One of my good friends is a Spanish-speaking guide and says while he very much enjoys his clients, they never tip. Bottom line, it is up to YOU.

Edited: 6:46 pm, November 23, 2014
Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
reviews: 59
9. Re: Tipping my tuk tuk driver

For the ones we've booked, we have agreed on $20 a day.

I thought the price was $15, but I was happy to pay a tip.

So do we pay more at the end ?

I am happy to do that and maybe the daily rate is now $20, but I'd like to know I'm doing the right thing.

Thanks.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
10. Re: Tipping my tuk tuk driver

#9, where are you heading? How far ware you traveling? Whne i am in Phnom Penh, let's say if I hire a guy from 10:00am~aroudn 3:00pm, and am just goign here or there, I will pay $10~$15. If we are headign a great distance, $15 or more, and if I have him for the whole day until after dinner I will pay $20. I usually never tip in this case, unless I have the guy take me extra stops that I initially didn't request, or if it runs later than I said I would finish. A few dollars in this case.

For the Angkor areas, the tuk-tuks have basic prices, according to the routes, and it is up to you to decide if you want to tip the guy at the end of the day.

Reply to: Tipping my tuk tuk driver
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted