We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport control officer at airport ask for a tip

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
reviews: 54
Passport control officer at airport ask for a tip

Today we flew from Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh City, 1:50 pm flight. We are Asian family with Australian passport. When we passed the counter the guy held onto passport and asked my husband " tip for me" . My husband backed a bit and said " what ? "So he repeated . After 3 times my husband didn't want problem and wanting his passport gave $1 and came out. He was happy he came out with only $1 . We don't want to report etc so much trouble for $1 but I want to post this so that people are aware that this problem still exist in Siem Reap.

6 replies to this topic
Sydney
1. Re: Passport control officer at airport ask for a tip

More fools you.

All you had to do was to say NO. End of story.

But there is something not right about your posting.

At every Immigration counter in both Siem Reap and Phnom Penh airport are prominent signs saying "NOTHING TO PAY HERE".

In addition to which, it is very much One (1) person at a time at the immigration officer booth and all others well back behind the waiting line so what was your husband doing at the booth with you?

You just fed $$ to the very thing you are complaining about and you did so willingly and freely. His service must have been excellent if you decided to tip him!!! You would never even think of tipping an official in Australia for doing the job he is paid to do so don't do so overseas and then complain about it.

Just say NO loudly and clearly. End of story.

Rgds. Ian

Aarhus, Denmark
reviews: 88
2. Re: Passport control officer at airport ask for a tip

We had the same experience last year when entering Cambodia via the Ha Thien border. The officer initially wanted us to pay visas for our children - but we had brought printed proof from webiste of the Cambodian Embassy in London where it is written that childdren are for free. After accepting this the officer asked us to pay and amount up to us - and we did just nothing!!

Australia
reviews: 54
3. Re: Passport control officer at airport ask for a tip

My husband was not with me . We were in different booths. I would not pay. I read about these before.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
reviews: 75
4. Re: Passport control officer at airport ask for a tip

Oh no...Well, as long as people keep "tipping" these corrupt officials, the problem is just going to perpetuate. Better keep this thread alive as a warnign to others.

Sydney
5. Re: Passport control officer at airport ask for a tip

Even worse if your husband fed the beast you are complaining about. At least he should have had the courage to have looked the minor official in the eye and said "What for mate?"

"No way!"

These are, indeed, self-inflicted, situations and I have no sympathy for those who participate.

Just say NO loudly and clearly and that is the end of the story.

Do some travellers of Asian heritage, regardless of their present country of citizenship and passport being used - (Australia allows legal dual/multiple citizenships unlike many countries) - Never learn?

Rgds. Ian

Edited: 10:53 pm, February 04, 2014
Wyong, Australia
reviews: 34
6. Re: Passport control officer at airport ask for a tip

"There are consequences for Australians and Australian companies that engage in corrupt activities while overseas.

dfat.gov.au/issues/measures-against-corrupti…

Reply to: Passport control officer at airport ask for a tip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted