We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thailand and Cambodia 3 weeks in Dec - January

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 1
Thailand and Cambodia 3 weeks in Dec - January

We are traveling during the Xmas and New Year season and would like some comments on our itinerary. It's a busy time and we would like advise on how early to book. Are we trying to pack in too much? Can you suggest some accomodation? We are 2 couples in our 50's.

Dec 25-28 Koh Samui or Koh Lanta or Phuket? For some down time and to wait for our friends to join us.

Dec 28-31 Siem Reap

Dec 31-Jan 2 Phnom Penh

Jan 2-10 Southern Cambodia (Kep/Kampot/ 4 Rivers Floating Village)

Jan 10 Phnom Penh

Jan 11-14 Bangkok

We are also trying to fit in Chaing Mai but think something else will have to go- maybe southern Cambodia. Any thoughts?

Would you recommend southern Thailand over southern Cambodia for some down time?

We are clearly confused!!!

Thanks for your help!

Toronto, Canada
1. Re: Thailand and Cambodia 3 weeks in Dec - January

I should also mention we prefer a boutique style hotel with a pool or VRBO.

Thanks

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
reviews: 85
2. Re: Thailand and Cambodia 3 weeks in Dec - January

Definitely Lanta. Samui & Phuket are resort destinations inundated with package tourists.

If you want a bit of culture in Thailand, spend a few days seeing the sights (and massive markets) in Bangkok.

I personally would prefer to stay in Southern Thailand (than Southern Cambodia), the white sand beaches are spectacular.

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 89
3. Re: Thailand and Cambodia 3 weeks in Dec - January

Cambodian beaches and beachy towns cannot be compared to Cambodia.

I would just do either Cam or Thailand, up to you of course!

But just a tip the great places do book out very early in Cambodia, l already have a Jan booking for my fav place in Kampot. 4Rivers floating village may not be as spectacular as its the dry season.

check out www.canbypublications.com for good info on Cambodia and also travelfish is good for both Thailand and Cambodia.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
4. Re: Thailand and Cambodia 3 weeks in Dec - January

In December the andaman coast in thailand would be a better option weatherwise so I would leave Koh Samui for another trip.

You're moving about a lot I would buy an open jaw flight ticket, first visit Cambodia, then after Siem Reap go to Thailand , visit Bangkok then finish the holiday on a beach on the Andaman coast in Thailand. If you do have to meet up with your friends in Thailand visit Phuket and Bangkok before heading to Cambodia and fly home from there.

Newcastle, Australia
reviews: 9
5. Re: Thailand and Cambodia 3 weeks in Dec - January

If I had to choose I would definitely go with Chiang Mai or southern Thailand as an alternative to southern Cambodia Kep/kampot areas. Or you could add more days to Siem Reap or PP

Perth, Australia
reviews: 35
6. Re: Thailand and Cambodia 3 weeks in Dec - January

Look out for Air Asia flights from Phuket direct to Chiang Mai. We found them excellent and cheap too

siem reap
7. Re: Thailand and Cambodia 3 weeks in Dec - January

Dry season will not matter for Four Rivers since it's a tidal river.

Toronto, Canada
8. Re: Thailand and Cambodia 3 weeks in Dec - January

Thanks for your reply. We hope to visit 4 Rivers. Do you have another suggestions in Cambodia?

9. Re: Thailand and Cambodia 3 weeks in Dec - January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, June 19, 2014