We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling with a child with a special diet

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Qatar
reviews: 4
traveling with a child with a special diet

My son has to follow a very rigid low protein diet. He is essentially a vegan without lentils and peas, and definitely no eggs which are all too often added to stir-fried vegetable rice. . We have traveled extensively with him without real problems because I always carry a letter explaining his dietary limitation in the local language (needed 3 different language for India). I usually have these letters translated before I leave for the trip, however, I have not found anybody who speaks Kmer. English seems to be widely spoken and understood.

Will I be able to get the point across and will there be enough choices on the menu that are vegan/vegetarian?

Does anybody know if the noodles served in Cambodia are made with egg or only with wheat?

NomadicForever
reviews: 15
1. Re: traveling with a child with a special diet

Unlikely that noodles will be egg noodles as egg noodles are hard to get and more expensive. Depending on the dish, you will get rice noodles.

I am not a veggie but like a meat free dish occasionally. This was never easy to find. Often tofu is used instead of meat which I cannot eat and will also be a no-no for your son.

I'm sure some locals will know where to go.

*Haven* restaurant comes to mind. They have veg dishes plus you can talk to the Swiss lady there about your special needs.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kep, Kampot, Cambodia
reviews: 89
2. Re: traveling with a child with a special diet

Mostly noodles with rice flour.

Which towns are you doing to?

Qatar
reviews: 4
3. Re: traveling with a child with a special diet

we will be staying 5 days in Siem Reap

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kep, Kampot, Cambodia
reviews: 89
4. Re: traveling with a child with a special diet

I would email your accommodation and ask them about it, there are some great places to eat in SR, l don't think you will have a problem if you let them know how important it is.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 7
5. Re: traveling with a child with a special diet

We were in Siem Reap in January with a group of 10. 2 were vegetarian, 1 required Halal and 1 had coeliac disease. Somehow we all managed to eat really well!

we were very well catered for at Soira Moira training restaurant and they had obviously prepared their staff for our arrival.

best wishes for a wonderful trip.

6. Re: traveling with a child with a special diet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 29, 2014