We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap/Building a well.

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, New South...
Travel from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap/Building a well.

Hi There,

I am planning a trip to Cambodia with my partners mother and have found the cheapest way to travel to Siem Reap is via Phnom Penh. I am just wondering if anyone has ever done this trip before and if so what is the most comfortable way to travel? I had herd it was possible to get a private taxi from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap but was not sure of the cost.

Also we are planning to build a well in a less fortunate village in Siem Reap to provide them with their basic water needs (as Im sure we are all aware of the shortage) but are not sure how to go about starting this. Using a western charity is not something we will consider as we want to be sure that 100% of the funds are allocated towards building this well. If anyone has any ideas or know who we should contact please let me know.

Sydney
1. Re: Travel from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap/Building a well.

Countless thousands of people travel between Phnom Penh and Siem Reap and vice versa each year. The majority take one of the many bus companies operating on this route and as you pretty much get what you pay for with bus travel, fares range between $5.50 to $13. one way per pax. Other aternatives include taxi circa $60/$65 one way and there is a motly assortment of vans and pick-up trucks. In fact, there is some form of transport to suit every budget.

So you are going to dig this well yourself are you?

As an aside, there are more charitable wells and bore holes with pumps in Siem Reap province than in any other province. it is the poorer and more remote and drier provinces that need communal sweet-water wells and boreholes with pumps, correctly lined and protected from stock and human facal and surface water contamination.

There is a huge difference in depth in the water table between wet season and dry season.

Best regards. Ian

Sydney, New South...
2. Re: Travel from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap/Building a well.

Hi Ian,

I apologizes, I should have been more specific, I am looking for some kid of contractor in Siem Reap to build the well and of course I would like to lend a hand in building this. We have a guide who is going to take us to a remote village that is in need of clean water.

Thank you for your help.

Shannon

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
reviews: 75
3. Re: Travel from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap/Building a well.

the Tabitha Foundation does wells, http://www.tabitha.ca/wells.html

and another you might like to check out is http://www.sustainablecambodia.org/australia/

if you have someone already who is part of your 'well' plans, why not have him organise it?

Sydney
4. Re: Travel from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap/Building a well.

Hello again Shannon R,

Simply go to the online edition of the Cambodian Yellow Pages and look under Well Drilling and you will find loads of them in the Siem Reap region.

Whilst there will never be enough sweet-water wells in Cambodia, Siem Reap province has far more than most provinces can even dream about.

Best regards. Ian

Edited: 12:45 am, October 01, 2012
Battambang, Cambodia
reviews: 4
5. Re: Travel from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap/Building a well.

when are you planning on building the well? at the moment its the wet season so not a good time,as Ian has pointed out the water table is at its highest level so best to do at the end of the dry season.you need to chat with the village chief and you will find they will have locals that can do the job.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 32
6. Re: Travel from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap/Building a well.

I think it is a great idea to provide a well. Clean water is one of the very first building blocks especially for children. Although I can understand where your sentiment comes from - "Using a western charity is not something we will consider as we want to be sure that 100% of the funds are allocated towards building this well" - there are myriad small independent totally trustworthy NGOs in SR where you can also be assured that all the money goes to the well. The advantage here is that they are placing wells in volume and do it with a strict eye on all the engineering aspects that assure the well delivers fresh water without contamination. The second advantage is that the ones I know also stay involved in terms of maintenance, training the local users to maintain them, etc to assure that over time they continue to deliver uncontaminated water. If you are curious for a couple of suggestions, please feel free to PM me. I don't want to promote one good NGO over other good NGOs that I may not know in the forum.

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Destination Expert
for Siem Reap
reviews: 13
7. Re: Travel from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap/Building a well.

Siem Reap province is littered with broken wells. Make sure the village where the well will go in knows how to do the maintenance and has the tools.

Sre Siam
8. Re: Travel from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap/Building a well.

replacement parts too.

Truro, United...
reviews: 5
9. Re: Travel from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap/Building a well.

Hello

Did you get your well built? I raised funds for two wells in a remote village north of Siem Reap but the village needs more wells. The money went straight to my contact from the village and he arranged the construction of the wells. I can give you his contact number and send photos but not sure how to do this via this site.

Best wishes,

Carol

10. Re: Travel from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap/Building a well.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:37 am, June 18, 2014