We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

City Gems 'Jewellers' Siem Reap-Read Before Buying ANYTHING

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
City Gems 'Jewellers' Siem Reap-Read Before Buying ANYTHING

City Gems

Road 30

Tropieng Sez

Kokchok commune,

Siem Reap Town

In June 2012 whilst visiting the wonders of Angkor Wat, I decided to propose to my girlfriend. She thankfully said yes.

As we were in Cambodia we decided to buy the engagement ring there and then. We eventually found the above shop after visiting 4 other shops. The ring we bought, price USD 3500.00, was according to the shop staff and owner and proof of authenticity a genuine diamond.

On returning we got this valued for insurance purposes. It was then discovered that the 'diamond' was in fact zirconia and worthless.

When we contacted City Gems they denied it was a fake BUT said that they would refund USD 3150 (if it was not a fake then why would they agree to a refund ? You decide if they are con artists ).

The only way they would refund is if we sent the ring back to them. This we were not prepared to do as if they cannot be trusted to sell genuine items they cannot be trusted to say they received the ring.

As we paid by credit card ( City Gems said they would give better discounts if we paid by cash ! Again you decide if they are con artists ) I contacted my bank who took this up on our behalf. After nearly 3 months we were given a full refund.

There are many reputable jewellers in Siem Reap, but this is not one of them.

I have sent the above to many Cambodian tour operators.

Edited: 9:54 pm, September 28, 2012
30 replies to this topic
Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
11. Re: City Gems 'Jewellers' Siem Reap-Read Before Buying ANYTHING

Thanks for posting as it's always good to post scams as it helps other people. I think what helped them scam you was the price of the ring because it wasn't cheap, they probably priced it as if it was real diamonds and that would catch anyone offguard as you never think that an expensive ring will be other than genuine. Anyway Congratulations on your engagement.

caribbean
reviews: 89
12. Re: City Gems 'Jewellers' Siem Reap-Read Before Buying ANYTHING

Hello, I got ripped off by City Gems too, unfortunately I didnt research on the internet about them beforehand, this happened last october, they are refusing to refund my money, I feel very angry and fustrated, any advice on what should I do to force them to give me my money back? I wrote to the tour agency that booked my tours they been trying to help me but with no positive results since it seems these people from City Gems are professional thieves, I also wrote to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Cambodia and nobody has bothered to respond to me, it makes me wonder if they are part of this scam too.

I will appreciate if you have an email address for city gems so that I can contact them, the english level of the personnel is not very good and I rather have written proof of anything

thanks

siem reap
13. Re: City Gems 'Jewellers' Siem Reap-Read Before Buying ANYTHING

why do tour operators take there customers to this shop?

its because they get paid by the shop,for every sale the tour operators get a percentage of the cost of the sales.

So naming the tour operators that allow there customers to be scammed may help stop this practice.

Siem Reap, Cambodia
reviews: 5
14. Re: City Gems 'Jewellers' Siem Reap-Read Before Buying ANYTHING

Well said! Just force your tour agency to get your moneys back.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 2
15. Re: City Gems 'Jewellers' Siem Reap-Read Before Buying ANYTHING

Thank goodness you got your money back.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
16. Re: City Gems 'Jewellers' Siem Reap-Read Before Buying ANYTHING

If you paid by credit card you might get better results with them.

Piove di Sacco...
reviews: 1
17. Re: City Gems 'Jewellers' Siem Reap-Read Before Buying ANYTHING

i buyed a sapphire ring in siem riep...when i come back to italy mi girlfriend opened the box...and...surprise..NO RING INSIDE!!!!

I payed with credit card, so do you think is possible to have a refund???thanks

St. Albert, Canada
18. Re: City Gems 'Jewellers' Siem Reap-Read Before Buying ANYTHING

We purchased a fake necklace and pendant at Khmer Gems in Nov. 2013 and are currently disputing the charge. We have been married for 30 years and have had many travel experiences. This was an oops. Hope you are happily married now. Love will keep you together!

Thunder Bay, Canada
19. Re: City Gems 'Jewellers' Siem Reap-Read Before Buying ANYTHING

Why would anyone buy a stone in Asia??????

St. Albert, Canada
20. Re: City Gems 'Jewellers' Siem Reap-Read Before Buying ANYTHING

Spouse has a Whiskey Jack mentality.

Reply to: City Gems 'Jewellers' Siem Reap-Read Before Buying ANYTHING
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted