We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from Newark international airport to Absecon NJ

Which Absecon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Traveling from Newark international airport to Absecon NJ

Oops lost everything I just wrote, pretty new to this you see. we will be travelling in June to Absecon new jersey, our flight arrives at Newark international airport from the UK and that means we have to find our way to absecon, now I wondered if it would be a good idea to hire a car and drive or get local transportation (have no clue about the transport system, first time in US) also not sure of how practical or affordable public transportation would be, family of five.

Would be grateful for any pointers

Ta

NJ
1. Re: Traveling from Newark international airport to Absecon NJ

Renting a mid-size sedan that can seat 5 is what I would do.

2. Re: Traveling from Newark international airport to Absecon NJ

Thanks that was quite a fast response! if the truth be known I did think that might be the best idea but I suppose I was a bit apprehensive, driving in a different country, roads etc. oh not to mention driving on the left!(This is not much of a problem though as I have driven in France and Spain) but I just keep seing those huge highways as I often see on the American movies and think, oh dear! I'm sure it should be ok, at least I hope so.

Thanks again

NJ
3. Re: Traveling from Newark international airport to Absecon NJ

You don't want to be making the drive at evening rush hour that is for sure. Traffic in NJ is intense especially on the Garden State Parkway which you will be driving on.

4. Re: Traveling from Newark international airport to Absecon NJ

Oh great just as well we booked a hotel at newark and will leave for Absecon Sunday morning, hopefully the traffic will be better then.

Ps once in Absecon is it advisable to take the car into Atlantic City? what is the parking like over there, or is it best to take the local transpotation?

Thanks for your help :)

NJ
5. Re: Traveling from Newark international airport to Absecon NJ

Even though I've lived in NJ for 9 years, I haven't been to Atlantic City yet.

You might want to ask your question on the Atlantic City forum.

Work, Beach or...
reviews: 5
6. Re: Traveling from Newark international airport to Absecon NJ

The question is whether you want a car for the entire stay. If not, I would not rent one just for the drive down to Absecon. There are other options for you, such as taking a bus to Atlantic City and than a cab to Absecon. Or you can get the ACES express train to Atlantic City from Newark's Penn Station, but their schedule is limited to weekends. As stated previously, driving the Garden State Parkway during the summer is no place for rookies, though it is a fairly easy drive (NJ Turnpike to GSP) for the most part.

Good Luck,

LuvBreezes

NJ
7. Re: Traveling from Newark international airport to Absecon NJ

They're a family of 5. Renting a car even for just driving down to Abescon makes the most sense $$$.

8. Re: Traveling from Newark international airport to Absecon NJ

We will have the car for a whole week and will be staying at Absecon. However we hope to visit Atlantic city at some point and wondered if it was a good idea to take the car as we are not too sure about parking.

Ps where are the places to shop for clothes etc someone mentioned sears? I know it is always best to as the locals as they know know where to get things for the best prices

Ta

NJ
9. Re: Traveling from Newark international airport to Absecon NJ

best to post your question at tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g29750-i78-Atlanti…

10. Re: Traveling from Newark international airport to Absecon NJ

Looking to hire a car seating 5 for eight days please could you suggest any reliable companies that will not cost a fortune, that will have on board navigational system and automatic.

We will be landing at Newark international airport

Get answers to your questions about Absecon